Whiney combustion blower on Breckwell P24FS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazy Dave

Oct 30, 2012
Central PA
I just replaced the combustion blower either last year or the year prior. 2 nights ago, I ripped it out, gave it a good cleaning and oiled it. It is still making a whining noise. Motor is running strong, but would be nice if it were a little quiter, and not so high pitched. Anyone have any similar experience, suggestions? Honestly, I can't remember if it was like this from day 1 of the motor or not.

Update:
For some reason, I can not upload the video. Hoping someone that had a similar experience will chime in.

Merry Christmas to all!

Last edited:
I just replaced the combustion blower either last year or the year prior. 2 nights ago, I ripped it out, gave it a good cleaning and oiled it. It is still making a whining noise. Motor is running strong, but would be nice if it were a little quiter, and not so high pitched. Anyone have any similar experience, suggestions? Honestly, I can't remember if it was like this from day 1 of the motor or not.

Update:
For some reason, I can not upload the video. Hoping someone that had a similar experience will chime in.

Merry Christmas to all!
Frequently, a high pitched whine from an induction motor is an indication that the bearings are worn. The excess play between the bearing and the shaft allow it to chatter. You can verify this by pressing a pencil to the exposed end of the motor shaft. That is assuming the shaft is exposed on your motor. That should dampen the chatter.
Very short term cure is lubrication on the offending bushing. That doesn't fix the bushing to shaft clearance problem but it does quiet things down for a few days to a few weeks.
If the bearings (actually bushings) are replaceable, that will cure it. If they aren't replaceable, the next time upgrade to a motor with ball bearings. In the long run it is worth the expense.

Update:

Merry Christmas to all!

My Breckwell uses Fasco blowers and the convection blower has sealed bearings which do not need oiling.
The combustion blower does not have sealed bearings. It doesn't do much good to oil sealed bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.