White Haze!? & more

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deep Fryer

Jun 6, 2008
East Coast NY
Hello everybody!

I've been noticing that a "white haze" kinda discoloration materializing & slowly spreading on the top of my flat black stove, is this normal?.
I would be inclined to think that maybe its caused by overfiring but I usually run it at 425-500 degrees, sometimes hotter but never above 600 (I'm pretty cautious in this regard), anybody else have similar experience with this "phenomena"? If it was some other item/object a bit of oil or a shot of spray paint would take care of it but thats not the case obviously. The paint is feasable but it could re-occur I would imagine.

Also, how does one know if one's stove has an air leak, & I'll come clean here :red: . When I was beggining to break in my stove on the second burn the temp shot up to 550+ degrees (the first burn was according to book- A-OK), I damped it down hard & got the temp to drop quickly.
I ask this question for two reasons, first is because I cannot seem to get more than say 5 hrs on an overnight burn and by that last hour the temp is down to 300 with some embers. Second, yesterday when I was cleaning out the stove I noticed that some of that mortar/paste material that seals in the corners/edges had cracks in it. Could they have been caused by that momentarily out of control second burn. Now they may have been there before but then again maybe not. Could that be affecting the burn times & how could I find out if they are leaking??? Should I just try to seal them up with that special material?

Thanks guys, hope everyone is well!

Well, black painted stoves turning white is usually an indication of over temp. But....550 shouldn't hurt that F500. So maybe a bad paint job??? Maybe your thermo is way off and you are indeed overfiring??? Don't know.

Hi Jags!
Thats what I was thinking but I have two thermometers & the 550 reading is the one that runs about 75-100 degrees hotter of the two.
The paint did seem a bit thin when I first got it and will probably give it a good touch up in the near future & hopefully that will take care of that.

Take care!

I had a similar white haze.( looked like white powder) on my cast stove after it was all restored and painted. It had been sitting in the basement waiting for install. It had never even been lit when it happened.
Only reason I tell you this is because it was definately not caused by overfiring being that it was never lit. Maybe a reaction with the high heat paint and cast iron?? Dont know but I dont think it is overfiring. I sanded it and repainted the area and then installed it. It has been fine since. Maybe moisture in the basement?????

Hi Scott, & thank you for the reassurance, & I agree, it does look like fine powder a bit.
The stove did have a bit of rust here & there when I got it & still has some on the inside but was told by the supplier that it was normal? (like he would say otherwise :) ) but that did not bother me & the areas that were touched up are fine.

Maybe it just needs to a bit of sprucing up :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.