White Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
With the help of my wife on the rhino we dropped a bigger dead white pine along with two small white pines. Had the tree saver around the dead pine with the cable hooked to the winch so we could pull it through the tops of the pines around it, after splitting that I ran down to the mess from about three weeks ago then split some of the pine in that area, attached are some pictures.

Looks like we will take down two more dead pine tomorrow in the first area we work today.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4654.jpg
    100_4654.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 402
  • 100_4655.jpg
    100_4655.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 399
  • 100_4656.jpg
    100_4656.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 411
  • 100_4657.jpg
    100_4657.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 426
  • 100_4662.jpg
    100_4662.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 440
I know pine gets bashed by some but I like it. With all those trees that looks a bit tricky in there.

Nice pics
Sure is pretty wood :)
With all the clean up you are getting done this winter, you should get a jump on starting the cabin build :)

I don't think this part was ever thinned out, looks like another job. Some of it felt like it was ready for the stove, I'll get a m/m reading tonight.

zap

bogydave, looks like a summer of milling before we start the cabin, maybe the woodshed before the cabin.

Sure did smell good Treepointer, just hope it's ready for this fall.

zap

by the looks of those pics of the splits, Zap, I think it will be ready by early summer! Make sure to post pics of the milling you do this year, I may do some myself for woodshed lumber. We have a couple 'bigguns' to do here in March.......pines. Gonna mill the trunks and buck/split the tops. I should have several cord of pine ready for the fall SS........

Nice work. Is that your woods?

Got Tired of looking at my name! said:
Very nice pics zap it spurs the imagination!

Pete
Pete, thats a daggone long new username.......lol.....

Scotty Overkill, I will be posting some milling pictures, we have some nice topped of Hemlock on the list.

whatisup02, yes that is our woods, it was part of the woodlot we bought in 2007. It needed thinning many years ago, have some downed white pine that we will be milling that is further back.

Pete1983, lots of work in that area to make it look respectable.

zap

TreePointer said:
Mmm, smells good!

Just came back from some Italian food then a Division 1 hockey game,St.Lawrence University 3 Colgate University 2. Brought this pine split in from the back of the Rhino, looks like it's almost ready to burn. This was a smaller dead pine that I dropped today.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4666.jpg
    100_4666.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 284
  • 100_4664.jpg
    100_4664.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 301
  • 100_4665.jpg
    100_4665.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 296
A little wind and you won't have long to wait on that stuff Zap. You can probably burn some of that for Spring if you don't already have 16 other cords set aside LOL

Locust Post said:
A little wind and you won't have long to wait on that stuff Zap. You can probably burn some of that for Spring if you don't already have 16 other cords set aside LOL

Here are two of three dead white pine I plan on dropping & splitting tomorrow, if my numbers are correct we should have close to four cord of shoulder season wood for fall.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4659-1.jpg
    100_4659-1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 278
  • 100_4660-1.jpg
    100_4660-1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 295
zapny said:
Locust Post said:

Here are two of three dead white pine I plan on dropping & splitting tomorrow, if my numbers are correct we should have close to four cord of shoulder season wood for fall.

zap

That first pic tree looks a little tricky. I wish I had a wood lot! Or should I say a wood bank!

Nice work zap. Having that winch can be helpful. I don't have one for the quad, but have a 9000# on the jeep I have used in dragging up our cliff out back. More soon and will post pics. Be well.

Oregon Bigfoot, everything went fine, that first tree was not that bad.

Backwoods, you're right on that. That tree we winched pulled the rhino back about one foot and thats with the chains on the front & back.

zap

Zap, cutting white pine really fills the air with a sweet smell and that is one good reason to cut it! lol Getting some of them down in a tight area like that can be interesting but usually not too much difficulty. Best part is you add to the wood pile.

zapny said:
Oregon Bigfoot, everything went fine, that first tree was not that bad.

Backwoods, you're right on that. That tree we winched pulled the rhino back about one foot and thats with the chains on the front & back.

zap

When we go wheelin' and another jeep is stuck bad in a gully, I gotta strap up to a tree while winching. Did you pre cut the tree a bit, or pull it down freestyle? I've already had the jeep stuck so bad and winched out, and almost pulled a tree down. After breaking out the snatch block, I was able to dbl my pulling power to 18000 lbs. So much fun! Be safe tomorrow bringing the others down.

backwoods, I used the open face notch on the tree we winched down.

zap

cozy heat, last year it was all bigtooth aspen for the shoulder season, this year we have hemlock,white pine with some bigtooth aspen. Just looking to use what we have.

zap

Zap were heading out tomorrow morning (I better get my a$$ to bed cause were leaving at 7:00am!!!) to cut some standing deads and deadfalls for use in the syrup evaporator. I used almost a weeks' worth of firewood in the evaporator out of my house wood.......I hate doing that! But I wanted to tell you I used some of that spruce that I cut down several weeks ago (I had split it around 2" to 3") and even though it isn't seasoned really good yet, man is it helping me get some good hot temps in that evaporator! I'll post some pics tomorrow of our work. I hope you do the same, love looking at yer pics! I have a thread over in the Perfect Picture forum of our evaporator and my sap buckets, check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.