Whitfield advantage 2 vs. advantage 2-t?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dakitez

Mar 17, 2011
northern ca
Hello,

I am looking to replace my current stove and I have found a few whitfield advantage stoves for sale local that fit my budget. I am happy to see that replacement parts seem easy to find for these stoves so I feel comfortable about purchasing one. I have a question that I am having a hard time finding the answer to. What is the difference between the advantage 2 and advantage 2-t? also any other history you all can share with me would be great. like if there is a certain year, etc. I should try to avoid.

Thank you in advance

I see you're in Northern California, too. We carry parts for both those Whitfield models, and have both Owners Manuals and Service Manuals, which might help you research the differences.

http://woodheatstoves.com/whitfield-user-manuals-c-291_215_63.html

We also have free parts lists that also give some information on manufacturing dates-

http://woodheatstoves.com/whitfield-user-manuals-c-291_215_63.html

http://woodheatstoves.com/whitfieldearth-stovetraditionstraeger-older-pellet-parts-p-376.html

Allow me to piggy-back on your thread, with a similar question. I've discovered today that the Whitfield Advantage II that is in use at the local convenience story puts out twice as much heat as my Advantage I with a similar amount of flame, even though they are essentially the same in regard to the stove basics. I'm thinking that my heat-exchange tubes might have a problem with not absorbing as much heat as when new. Does anyone know something about getting more heat out of the blower tubes? Maybe scouring the tubes with steel wool?

The heat exchangers in these stoves can and do get really choked up on the fire side with ashes.

The only way to clean these is to make sure the scraper bar handle is pulled back and forth and then the entire area up in there is vacuumed well.

The leaf blower (Suction) trick on the exhaust pipe really helps to rid the stove of a lot of the trapped ash/soot

The differences between the two stoves is minimal.
The 2T is the later version and has some changes to the electronics and the internals.

The other thi g you may want to look at is the convection blower to make sure that the fan is not really dirty.

As long as there is good airflow out the front of the stove (heat tubes) then any shortfall in heat output has to be due to crud that has accumulated on the heat tubes on the fire side.

Using a length of stiff wire (1/8th diameter) and snakking it all in up and around the tubes can dislodge a lot of crud that collects.

Good luck and keep us posted

Two developments, 1st, I cleaned the tubes with a scouring pad and rag and it turned my hand and the water black, -lots of soot. 2nd, I came up with a probable explanation for the heat that was being put out by the Advantage II in the store. In the day time they have the stove on high, but I visited last night at about 7:00PM, closing time. I'll bet that just before I entered the store, they had lowered the auger feed-rate (temp.) so there was only a minor size flame in the grate but the stove was still quite hot and blowing out that high heat, which I mistook for heat coming from the burning pellets. I'm convinced that the heat I felt couldn't have been produced by the size of the flame that I was looking at. So I assume that my stove isn't deficient nor different from the Advantage II.
I don't know how great of an insulating effect the carbon on the exchange tubes has but I'll rely on the stove's scraper for the most part since manually washing the tubes is a really dirty job. But it probably did give me at least 10% better heat absorption. Too bad the tubes are easily removable for a good hosing.

Status
Not open for further replies.