WHITFIELD ADVANTAGE 3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unsure1

Mar 21, 2010
OHIO
My whitfield pellet stove, advantage 3, won't start up. I plug the stove into the electric plug and one light comes on. When I try to start the fans several lights come on and the stove shuts off. I checked all of the Hi temp switches with an ohm meter and they are ok. I bi-pass the lo temp switch and the stove runs....I've cleaned the stove, or at least I think I have, and it still acts this way....what's up?

What I mean by by-passing the low limit switch is I connect the two wires together that connect to the low limit switch and the pellet stove works....when I disconnect these two wires the stove shuts down.....any suggestions on how to remedy this situation?....My wiring diagram states that the low limit switch is usually open.

That lo temp limit disc should be bypassed by the controller for a fixed period of time (varies by controller) so that the pellets can be feed, lit, and the temperature has a chance to attain a normal operating state then the switch should close and the stove now has proof of fire and can start the convection fan, sometime shortly after this happens the timer bypass gets dropped.

If that switch isn't being bypassed then you have a control board, wiring issue, or the limit disc is faulty.

I'd suggest that with the limit switch bypassed start the stove and let it run for about a half hour and using an ohm meter and see if it closes.

If it closes then it is the board or wiring.

If the stove will run when the low limit disc is bypassed then the control boards startup circuit is likely the issue.

You should also check the pressure switch on the LH side by the eshaust fan to make sure that it is working.

The switch is normally closed (unless the vent is blocked, hose plugged or switch bad)

Failure of the pressure switch will not allow the feed motor to run at all though.

My gut feeling is that the startup circuit in the board is bad. (new control board time)

I have a Whitfield Advantage 2 T and these stoves are very similar.

Snowy

I agree, sounds like a bad Control Board. Make sure you use a surge protector.

Status
Not open for further replies.