Whitfield Advantage II Auger problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhatch7205

Mar 14, 2010
central ma
I have an older whitfield Advantage II stove. The auger keeps binding up. I have pulled it off several times now and cleaned and reassembled. The motor runs fine not connected to the auger shaft. There is a lot of play in the shft up and down. I tried shimming it but it still binds Even with no pellets it turns for awhile but binds again. While turning it is making a binding noise, not a happy noise. Why does it appears to have so much play? bottom bushing is new.

Any ideas?

save your self some time with screwing around with it and just get a new augermotor/gearbox.
it could be the gears that are messed up and if it is noisy just get a new one.

What sort of condition is the top bushing in ???

These are very basic and unless someone has been running rocks through the thing it should not have any issues for ages.

Install the auger without the motor attached and turn it by hand. Without pellets it should turn very easy.

If there is binding or its hard to turn, then you need to examine the tube and find out whats going on.

Give it a good look see and let us know.

Snowy

i am producing a video on this right now actually..
feel free to call me to discuss phone # is on our site..

do you have the original brass bushing, ? if so replace with new nylatron bushing

if you remove the lower auger flange, ie bushing plate, does the auger shaft spin freeley in the upper bushing?
lower bushing more likely to fail...

Status
Not open for further replies.