whitfield prodigy 2 wp-3 6052

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stoneyreef

Oct 31, 2011
Minnesota
Purchased this stove used this spring. Finally got it installed. We are venting it straight up and out adapter T right out the back, 12 ft of 4" duravent straight up. When I purchased the stove they said the motor was a bit loud.

I was like can't be that bad, and they could get a replacement for $100. Purchased the stove for $400.

Anyhow, got it installed on Saturday and fired it up. It will burn for 3 hours on low and then it is like a high limit is triggered and the stove goes dead for 10 minutes until it cools down. If on the highest setting you get about 25 minutes.

Check all the wires and such, and they had the exhaust fan unplugged. DAMN that beast is loud! I found the noisy motor!

So I plug it in, give it a drop of oil and it quiets down a bit. I figure no problem, I found the problem. Now it will burn for 6 hours on low and 45 minutes on high. So I start checking more stuff. Wire is broken off the contact on the low limit on the back side of the exhaust pipe. So I fixed that.

Still shuts down. Anyone have any ideas?

I have cleaned it, it is immaculate, I became rather intimate with this stove today with all the cleaning and tearing apart to check for plugs and build up.

Stoneyreef said:
Purchased this stove used this spring. Finally got it installed. We are venting it straight up and out adapter T right out the back, 12 ft of 4" duravent straight up. When I purchased the stove they said the motor was a bit loud.

I was like can't be that bad, and they could get a replacement for $100. Purchased the stove for $400.

Anyhow, got it installed on Saturday and fired it up. It will burn for 3 hours on low and then it is like a high limit is triggered and the stove goes dead for 10 minutes until it cools down. If on the highest setting you get about 25 minutes.

Check all the wires and such, and they had the exhaust fan unplugged. DAMN that beast is loud! I found the noisy motor!

So I plug it in, give it a drop of oil and it quiets down a bit. I figure no problem, I found the problem. Now it will burn for 6 hours on low and 45 minutes on high. So I start checking more stuff. Wire is broken off the contact on the low limit on the back side of the exhaust pipe. So I fixed that.

Still shuts down. Anyone have any ideas?

I have cleaned it, it is immaculate, I became rather intimate with this stove today with all the cleaning and tearing apart to check for plugs and build up.

I sure hope that the motor that was unplugged back at the beginning was on the convection blower that would account for the over temperature problem.

If that wire was broken off the low limit the convection fan should not have started at all and the stove should have shut down because of not seeing proof of fire.

You might want to check the room air paths through the heat exchanger and pay a bit more attention to the convection blower motor it might not be running as well as it should be. The inside of the motor case can get plugged with dust bunnies and it might take more than one drop of oil in each oil port to really get it going if it has set for a long while.

There is a person on here by the handle of Snowy Rivers who also has a Prodigy and she knows that stove inside out and upside down.

Thanks for responding, The broken wire was definitely on the low limit switch. It was lying on the contact so it was making contact "most of the time" which explained a couple other things that went on. So I have read the service manual about 10 times. Then it hit me, fire brick. What? There is no fire brick in this stove. Anyhow, without that thermal barrier I can see how it is getting that hopper that hot. So I found a place that will sell a 2'X3' piece of ceraboard and I will get that cut and installed.

When you have your own 5'X12' CNC router at home, all things look like they can be made on the CNC.

So I got in there today and measured the fire brick space.

This is what I came up with!!!

Trying to get my hands on some Cerra board to cut it out.

firebrick.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.