who delivers pellets in north central maine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

St_Earl

Minister of Fire
Sep 9, 2011
millinocket, maine
we'll be moving into our new home in millinocket by the end of october.
no lowes or home depot there in town that i could shuttle tons from in our outback.
i did see a sign at the eastern edge of town of a place that has pellets. i could get some myself there. but i don't know what brand(s) they carry or pricing yet.
i'm hoping i can find some company where i can still have a choice of several brands.

sib warehouse closed today at 2pm. but i'm calling them tomorrow to see if they cover that area.
i'm curious if any board members live in that area and take delivery of their pellets.
any companies other than sib that you know of who deliver there?

seems like if sib covers millinocket, this will be a moot question. i'm still curious though.
i called northeast pellets up in ashland. but they sell to wholesalers and not to private customers.

Check Dysart's and EBS, I think they both serve that area

thanks. : )

yeah. i'm definitely calling them tomorrow. they close at 2 p.m. so i missed them today.
it'll be nice to be able to compare though.
nice if there were a few options even though i get the impression folks are happy with sib prices and selection.
it's new to me to be living in/moving to a town that is so small and out of the way of the usual sources of things.
lol "no home depot? no wal mart?"

Don't forget Lowes there is one in Presque Isle and I believe it is a hour's driving time closer than Steve Barkers SIB. You could also give them a call and see how far they deliver.

yeah. just looking at the map i thought sib was pretty far from me.
so i'm trying to gather all the leads i can. i appreciate the help from everyone.

as with everything else here, i would be so in the dark without this forum.
it's amazing how much i've learned in just three days of constant reading and asking questions.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Don't forget Lowes there is one in Presque Isle and I believe it is a hour's driving time closer than Steve Barkers SIB. You could also give them a call and see how far they deliver.

Well,

I live in Scarborough, which is about 1 hour and 45 minutes away from Jay and Steve delivered to me, so he shouldn't have any problem.

EarlyMan

Off Topic, but its great to hear about someone moving to Millinocket these days. The folks up in that areas have had it hard for several years and really hard since the East mill shut down. I have done work with Cates Street in the past and they appear to be a good company.

Best of luck getting settled.

I belive SIB will deliver to pretty much anywhere in the state. One person did have a problem but he was further north than you will be I think. There is a post about it on here. Anyway, let me know what he has available. I was hoping to buy a ton of the MWP softwood after I try a couple bags that I picked up at a local hardware store but I checked his website last week and it looked like he may not have them anymore. Bummer.

mepellet said:
I belive SIB will deliver to pretty much anywhere in the state. One person did have a problem but he was further north than you will be I think. There is a post about it on here. Anyway, let me know what he has available. I was hoping to buy a ton of the MWP softwood after I try a couple bags that I picked up at a local hardware store but I checked his website last week and it looked like he may not have them anymore. Bummer.

Yes Steve will deliver just about anywhere, just giving the OP other choices that are a lot closer. The OP needs to check all hardware, building, and farm supply stores as well.

this is perfect. thanks. just the kind of info i need.
hoping to be in the new place by the middle of oct. i hope sooner though because i'm chomping at the bit to get the stove in and do the basement insulation.
we'll be making a small contribution to the economy by way of hiring a roofer and a sider and buying whatever we can locally.
there is an appliance store there so hopefully they have a decent price on a washing machine.
and there is a sign coming into town for pellets for sale. i may get lucky and there is a decent product right there. will definitely buy at least some as locally as possible.
unless they're infernos, right? lol.

i will report back on what i find as far a selection and who i find to deliver at what price.
i'm definitely not pleased things are hard up there. but getting a good house at the price we paid is key to our (semi) retirement.
lets hope the plans the new buyer has for the mill are brought to fruition. fingers crossed.

so i did get ahold of sib today (thanks to mepellets reminding me in time. they close at 2 p.m.).
they will deliver a ton of mwp/athens pellets to millinocket for the normal delivered price of $219 per ton.
when the time comes, i will look at what other brands they offer.
i still plan on buying as much as i can from the millinocket area. to support the local businesses.
but it's good to know i'm covered already.

i'm getting very antsy to get going on this. hopefully we get closed on the house before the time limit the sellers have for turning it over.
i want to list my stove in my sig and post the pic!

peakbagger said:
Off Topic, but its great to hear about someone moving to Millinocket these days. The folks up in that areas have had it hard for several years and really hard since the East mill shut down. I have done work with Cates Street in the past and they appear to be a good company.

Best of luck getting settled.

ok. cates has bought both mills.
they are going to start operations at the east millinocket mill to meet a deadline for a virgin newsprint order.
they are operating it in escrow till the environmental permits can be transferred from the prior owner. that transfer can't happen till sept. 27th

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/09/...-a-‘shot-in-the-arm’-for-katahdin-region/

I live in Millinocket..my first pellet stove this years..2 locations you can get pellets..Aurther York...in Medway will deliver...got prices today..Maine Wood Pellets..(Athens) 249.00 per ton...Cornith $259.00 per ton and New Enland $275.00 per ton..Energex..not sure of size of pallets being shipped..one ton would be $269.00 and the 1.2 ton size will be $322.80..also Nicatou Stove Shop in Medway...got prices today also...Maine Wood Pellets ...in stock...$220.00 a ton and Energex $240.00 and ton....not in stock yet...more types are coming in..I think I will buy the Maine Wood pellets...however you must pick them up at Nicatou...as mentioned above Aurther York will deliver.

hi, soon to be neighbor.
thanks for the good info. i appreciate it.
it's going to be a busy time for us the first few weeks once we get up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.