Who does not burn 24/7 and why?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jakehunter

Jul 21, 2009
midwest OH
I am currently in the market for a stove. I have read some reviews where people do not use there stoves 24/7. Please let me know.

Thanks,

I don't burn 24/7 in the shoulder season. I use my programmable thermostat. Set it forget it. Once the cold sets in, I turn my stove to the Hi/low setting on the control board. I still use the stat and it cycles to low once the house temp is up.

Main reason I use the stat I feel it keeps the house at a more constant temp. I also feel I save pellets using the stat. Why have the house at 72ºF when away or sleeping? Just can't justify that, Plus I sleep better when the house is around 68ºF. But I want it 72ºF in the AM, So my lazy butt will get out of bed! Warm wifey=Happy wifey=Happy life?

I dont run mine 24/7 if I did my living room would probably hit 85 degrees. However in really cold weather I'll leave it on low or medium heat and let it run most of the day unless the room gets too warm, then I'll turn it off a while. In real cold winter months I let it run all night on low, that keeps my living area at about 70* which is plenty for me. The far end of the house will get down to 65 or a little less even but its not bad. My small 3 bdrm ranch is fairly open so heat moves around very well down the hall, and I have a lot of insulation, and double pane windows throughout the house.

I run my Quad AE 24/7, it is on a thermostat though. But it is my main source of heat and does very well for me in my bi-level home. If you take care of them and keep them clean there is no reason why you cant rely on them 24/7, they have many built in safety features.

I Do not run my stove 24/7. I use the stove for creature comfort.No creatures in the house from 7:00 A.M till 4:00 P.M. When i get home a little past 4:00 I press the button on my Harman Advance and I about a half hour the house will begin getting toasty warm. We will run It till about 10:30 and do an auto shut down for the night.On the week ends we will run It from wake up time to bed time. I am still getting used to the Idea of going to the bank for a $250,000 Mortgage and then coming home and lighting a fire in the living room. And then going to bed
Jim H
Plaistow NH

Jim I know how you feel.

We plan on running our stove the same way. When we heated with wood it was just more of a PITA to get the fire going.

Though when we had company over or family functions when folks would stay at the house, we would keep the fire going 24/7. We tend to keep our house cooler than most folks (64-68F) so when we have company, we usually keep the house a little warmer.

It must be a NH thing, but I do the same as Jim. My oil heat thermostat is set to 50 degrees during the day when nobody's home so even on the coldest days it doesn't go on much. One small difference is that I keep it running all night and my wife will crank it up to high until she shuts it off when she leaves for work.

Thanks, for the responces. I have not puchaesed a stove yet I was looking into a wood stove or a pellet stove. After reading some of these post I think a pellet stove is best more safety options. I will probably end up doing the same at first running when I am home.

Has anyone had a there pellet stove get out of control?

Thanks,

Every stove sold today has 'snap switches' witch act like circuit breakers for things like over-temp and other fail-safes that will shut the stove down. There HAVE been a few hoppers catch on fire, but it is a rare case.

a clean stove is a happy and safe stove.

Like most everyone else I usually only run my stove when people are here.(4 till 11 pm)We just insulated the entire house so with my setting on low it keeps the house a very warm 75 degrees.I shut it down when we go to bed and stays around 70 all night.

J

We have 3 stoves in this 2300 SqFt ranch style house.

During the "Shoulder" season we allow the Quad to take care of the job, running on a T stat setting.

Once we get into the colder parts of winter, we run at least one stove full time and possibly two stoves.

During the really early fall or late summer we might run one stove for a short time in the moning or eavening to take the chill off.

Many folks use their pellet stove for an esthetic thing and do not rely on it for a major heat source.

Around here we are serious about our pellet stoves. The house has electric forced air heating and that in and of itself is insanely expenive to run. (has never been used)

A large stove in one small room can be problematic as it will be too hot in the one room and cold everywhere else in the house.

Its all a matter of how things are set up.

We have a large floor plan that is very open with no hallways. This allows air to circulate easily.

Having two large stoves and one small stove allows for selective sized fires depending on the weather.

When its 50 outside and nasty, the little stove is plenty. Let the temps drop into the low 40's and one large stove will do.

With temps in the 30's and on down two stoves will be up and running and the third may be called upon depending.

I try to keep the temperature at around 70 and keep it even without the drastic up and down swings.

If its clear outside, even if its COLD there is a fair amount of sunlight geting in that will help with the issue.

Snowy

How many of you shut your furnace off when you go to bed?

I personally am not worried about a wood burning appliance holding 60lbs of solid fuel getting out of control.

Now a one buring pressurized gas with 500 gallons in reserve... or on a pipeline... that I would turn off before I went to bed.

If the house dips below 65, the stove comes on and stays on until it needs to be cleaned. Longest continuouse run last season was about 2 weeks or 336 hours and about 25-30 bags of pellets. Then 1 hours shutdown and cool, one hour to clean, and right back to work.

My furnace is off most of the time. I heat my hot water with 2 Narva solar panels and heat the house with the stove. We start the stove when we get up in the am then shut it off when we go to work. The 1st one home starts it then we shut it down when we go to bed. I turn the furnace on if we haven't had 4 hours of sun in a couple of days or the kids are home doing laundry. The kids will turn the furnace on when they take a shower unless I tell them there is plenty of hot water. I used less than 100 gallons of oil last year. My house has an open floor plan and we have Quad Classic Bay 1200 set up in the middle of the house. Works great. The living room has been as warm as 87 on some really cold days last year. I have to bribe the wife to turn it down.

I keep my sante fe on thermostat. We have an open floor thing here, but the ceilings are 20+ feet tall so I use two ceiling fans to move the warm air down. It shuts off when it meets the temp, usually 69. I need a different thermostat as the one that came with it isn't very good.

i dont cause its easy to start manually 4me thru unmentionable procedure which is cheaper & hotter than pellets. got a "woodstove' too which sux feeding thru the night & sawdust furnace is 2 much work these days

I do not run my stove 24/7 during the shoulder seasons or it would easily cook us out of the house.
Once the cold decides to stick around, my Harman XXV runs 24/7 as I work from home.

There is always someone here, but 5 nights a week, it will be getting shutdown at night because my girlfriend doesn't want it on at night when I'm at work (I work graveshift). I'm sure she's nervous about having fire going with no one awake and keeping an eye on it. I would try to explain it to her, but the older I get, the less I want to waste my breath.

In the shoulder seasons, my stove runs in the AM and perhaps a little but during the day, controlled by the thermostat. During the really cold months, it runs nearly continuously, pausing only for autocleans and the occasional cleanout.

When the temps drop below 40 and stay there, my st croix
runs 24/7 only shutting down for cleaning. When I first got
it I was afraid to let it run through the night but quickly shook
that fear.

24/7 here. Confidence comes in time.

The last two heating seasons, we shut the pellet stove off at night (about 11:30PM) and the oil fired boiler runs at about 62 degrees. I re-start the pellet stove again early in the morning and everyone is off on their day.
Better cellar insulation/caulking/foam and/or installing the thermostat "gizmos" will keep the heating zones from freezing. A very cold cellar with water pipes would be important for any new pellet user to consider.

once mine is fired it stays on 24/7 except for cleaning
we heat 4000+ sq ft and it takes alot to warm it up once its cold
so once its warm turn the stove down and keep it warm
I also feel it keeps all the objects, furniture and such, in the house warm
which means less mass to heat if it cools off
and if everything feels warm you feel warm too

blueshawk1 said:
There is always someone here, but 5 nights a week, it will be getting shutdown at night because my girlfriend doesn't want it on at night when I'm at work (I work graveshift). I'm sure she's nervous about having fire going with no one awake and keeping an eye on it. I would try to explain it to her, but the older I get, the less I want to waste my breath.
You're too funny... :) I guess it's the difference of growing up in a house where there was a wood stove burning 24 hours a day, or not. I worried about my stove for about the first 3 weeks after I installed it... then decided, since I saw no problems while I was awake so why would something crop up while I was asleep ,to leave it to run while I was away... and guess what!? I still have a house a year later, so must have done something right.

Ran my Harman accentra insert to heat a 2-story, 2000sq ft. house 24-7 last year only stopped for cleanings. Last year I didn't run my electric heat pump once.

Status
Not open for further replies.