Who else bought early and paid too much??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lecomte38

Feeling the Heat
Jun 6, 2008
Central Mass
Make me feel better. I bought 4 tons of NEWP s for $229 per with $50 delivery in early July. Bummin now as I see the prices come down

Just keep looking at the price of oil, if it stays high you did good. I paid 259.00 a ton for 2 tons of NEWP early spring, I am not fretting about it.

Paid 265/ton for Spruce Pointe in June. Bought 4.8 ton and have no worries at all. Sure, big box stores have some at 199/ton right now, but I have had great experience with this brand and poorer experiences some of the big box brands. Spruce Pointes have consistantly burned hot and very clean for me.

Could I have saved $$, yes. Could I have had a good burn, maybe. Could I have headaches, maybe.

I dont have alot of time at home to do extra cleanings and maintaining of the stove in winter months. A few extra dollars comes down to peace of mind and knowing I am all set for the entire winter.

Now if I find Somersets at Lowes for 199/ton, I will jump on at least another ton of those in a second. So far none in the area that I have found for cheap.

edit: The Spruce Pointes have gone up 15/ton since I bought, so for me, it was a good desicion.

Prices are down for shoulder pellets because the box stores are having a price war. While a few box stores sell pellets that are better than shoulder pellets, most are not selling anything I'd want to use in the middle of winter. Decent pellets around me have gone up since I bought them in April. The Turman pellets I bought at $249 are now $272. Your price of $229 plus $50 delivery is still very good.

I paid $250.00 a ton for 2 tons of Somersets and hauled them myself. I'm not concerned about the price because I know how well they burn in my stove and I will take them over any other brand around, especially the ones that sell for the cheapest prices.

The pellet price war at the box stores was un expected. I honestly thought we would see prices on them a little higher when the war started. $229 doesn't sound all that bad if you check the current prices of NEWP's in your area. Pretty sure they would have gone up some at least. Plus when you bought them the box stores were selling lawn mowers and such. If they had pellets left they would have been non war prices and more like $298 a ton.

I always feel safer to buy in the spring time. Knowing I have my seasons supply of fuel stashed makes me sleep a little easier. Having suffered through a few seasons of scrounging for pellets when the pellet shortages poked their heads out told me never to wait again. I will at least stash 1/2 to 3/4 of my supply in the spring. But having the full season plus is priceless.

Instead of feeling bad about it, Just get some of the current deal and sit on it for next season's supply. Pretty sure next season's prices will be a bit higher yet. As the surplus of pellets and fiber is about depleted and it might be a total crap shoot come next year. Pretty much just need to roll with the punches the pellet supply has to offer. Although you loose some battles, It helps to win some too! :)

In the last 2 years I have only bought 2 ton that were over $200. The other 11 were under $200/ton.

Last season was
1 ton Pro pellet - $210
1 ton American Wood Fibers - $210
2 ton Somersets - $175/$350 @ 2 ton
So $770 for last season.

Compared to the just under $4,000 a year in LP we used in years past. 0% LP usage for heating now. Only for cooking purposes.
Then at the end of the season I got 9 ton for the next 3 years. Have used 4 ton a year the last 3 years. But with the addition of the Wood stove in the basement and over 10 cord of wood. I am going to be using the Fireplace on almost a daily basis also. So I intend to reduce the 4 ton, to somewhere in the area of 2.5-3 ton a year. So I have about 3 years of pellets (plus or minus) in the basement.

5 ton Presto-log- $177/$885 @ 5
2 ton Green label Lig's- $195/$390 @ 2
2 ton Easy Heats- $180/ $360 @ 2

As far as brand choice. In Ohio there is less than a dozen. With my home being fairly new, good insulation (2x6 outside walls), new windows, and the Drywall we did the year before we got the pellet stove. We put the 1/2" Drywall up over the existing 1/2". That was the entire house, including the ceiling. So 1" of Drywall is there to stop the heat, before it even hits the insulation. Also only using Low until it gets below 0 outside says the house is pretty efficient. It runs 24/7, but the house stays at 75-76* all Winter.
So 13 ton or 4 years of heating, for a total of $2,405 + tax = $2,573. If you take that average over 4 years. Its $643.25 (last year it was $770 for those 4 ton, but for the sake of averages) a year. That's about 6 times cheaper per year than Propane. About $3,800 a year or $650.... Hmmm. So I don't think I overpaid and if the chance comes around to buy some Somersets for under $200 a ton. I plan to pick up a few more ton. One can never have to many or be to prepared. I would rather buy them cheap and sit on them for 5 years, than have to pay $300 ton (if and when the time comes/inflation sucks, but that's life)

I have been happy with every brand (except the batch of AWF's that had an average length of 2"-3"). With the Somersets being my All Time Favorite. Very short pellet, very cheap, clean burning, and the best heat.

Bought 4 tons of Greenways this spring for $174 a ton so feel pretty darn good!

Bought 4 tons of Somersets so far at 219.88 a ton, so price is good. They have Pro Pellets by my place for around 179-189 a ton. Its all because in this small village they have like 6 places selling pellets so its a war.

I bought my Western Elite Doug Fir pellets on the spring early buy for $221/ton. I could have had the softwood Uncle Jeds for $188/ton... a great pellet but this year I figured I could afford a better pellet and have less ash to contend with.

I just bought 1/2 ton eureka elite at $269 ton heaters going for $250 I wanted to try the eureka's see if they burn better than the heaters that leave a lot of ash.
The only other choice are lignetics at $279 I might get a 1/2 ton of those next month.

I will burn 2 1/2 tons this winter through spring.

I picked up 2 ton of Natures Own (out of Canada plant) for $355

This year the majority of my stock pile is Spruce Pointe and Okies. $260.00 a ton delivered.
One ton is mixed with LG & Cleanfire Pacific.

The only thing I have done different is last year I had 7 ton in my storage area, this year I have 6.

I admit I am a softwood pellet snob so even though I have been tempted to grab a ton of
Greene Team I have not done so yet. ;-)

tinkabranc said:
This year the majority of my stock pile is Spruce Pointe and Okies. $260.00 a ton delivered.
One ton is mixed with LG & Cleanfire Pacific.

The only thing I have done different is last year I had 7 ton in my storage area, this year I have 6.

I admit I am a softwood pellet snob so even though I have been tempted to grab a ton of
Greene Team I have not done so yet. ;-)

Softwood snob! hehe! :) Mr. Warm will like that one! :cheese:

Greene Teams are decent but they aint(sorry) softies! Last seasons batch heat was pretty good, But was a bit ashy IMHO. For what I paid, i'm not gonna complain to too much!

Hey guys I'm wondering what pellets to get next... I just grabbed a ton of Green Supremes for 179, and I'm thinking about going with a better pellet for the middle of winter. Is it worth it to grab a ton of hammer hot ones or Cubex for 275, over a ton of Green teams for 197? The best quality pellet I have burned in my stove was a skid of somersets I got for 197. Which should I go with? Are cubex/ hammers worth 75 bucks more?

Bought 2 tons of AWF on 9/13/2011 @ $199.00/ton @ Southern States co-op. Tazewell county Farm Bureau is @ $219.00. Tractor Supply hasn't received their shipment yet. Wish we had more suppliers in S W Virginia.

just bought 6 tons green supreme for 197 ton... hope they burn well in my xxv

Status
Not open for further replies.