Who Has a Heat Reclaimer- Magic, Vogelzang, etc? S.S. tube size needed for wood temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DouglasCo

Nov 17, 2008
Colorado
I want to build my own reclaimer, because i don't like the ones available. I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight by either measuring theirs(would require micrometer or calipers) or just their 2 cents(please clarify which type of insight it is). I am hoping i can get away with using the .035wall 1" ss304 tubes i already have. But looking at how the tubes in the top of my new lopi(not SS) Have sagged from my pyro fire making, make me wonder if .035 is thick enough, even though its just in the flue and not in the box. My Heat Reclaimer is going on a Sierra 8000TEC. Thanks. Great site btw.

"like the Cartalk Guys, can answer ANY question regarding wood stoves,coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and more ....but don’t be surprised if your answer contains a little more than you were asking for!"

Doug you're playing with fire do you really want to expose your family to that? At least the off the shelf creosote generators available have been tested and certified.

My experience with the magic heat was not good on an old air tight and newer EPA stove. Both experienced major creosote build up. They may work fine in an old NON air tight stove that releases alot of heat up the chimney. You really need to watch the stack temps on these things. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Thanks for the advice. I plan on using the creosote killer powder and also burning it very hot without the fans turned off, frequently to make sure it stays clean. There are 100 positive reviews on northerntool for the 6 and 8" magic heat. If someones house burned down i think they'd post. People have been using them for 20 and 30 years. I'm just building a bigger one, all stainless, quieter fan that is less prone to heat failure that can be placed closer to the stove as my envelope for mounting isn't large enough.

They may work or maybe not as great as people think they do. Positive reviews don't necessarily mean it's a good product. There are thousands of positive reviews for all sorts of gadgets to increase one's gas mileage, but 99.99% of these gadgets don't really improve anything and some reduce economy. Still people post good reviews for them and swear they work on their cars.

Before you go to the expense and effort of building this, you might check with your insurance agent to make sure installation wouldn't affect your homeowner's policy. Putting in a non-UL listed heating appliance in your home may void your policy. The last thing you'd want to do is find out after the fact. Better to be safe than sorry and get any bad news up front before you build and install it.

Status
Not open for further replies.