Who is still burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

qualityleashdog

Mar 11, 2012
South IN
I'm relatively new here at the forums, and thanks to all for responding to some of the questions I've raised and advice I've asked for recently, even if I didn't find time to respond to everyone. I've had a 'warm' welcome, I believe. At least some of the questions I've asked have resulted in small side conversations between forum members, and have ran their course, which I believe to be an indicator of a very healthy and live forum! Good to see.
So here's the question: Who is still burning their stoves this week, and where are you? I'm in the very southern bit of Indiana, and I'm surprised to be burning this late into April, straight since last Friday. I wouldn't be so surprised if this was just an odd night I felt like having a fire, but to have felt the need for one for such a string of days does feel odd. With the rain coming, I feel like keeping the fires burning until the dampness and cool temps vanish, as it 53 degrees right now at 9:20 pm, and will probably dip into the mid-30s overnight (as it did last night) and rain the next few days.

Wet,Windy and Cold in Northern NY, we have been burning one or two fires a day since last week.

zap

Nope, shut her down last week for good. High 30s at night, 50s in the day.

We have been getting lazy. No fires for a few weeks. But not done this year. In North East PA We burn to the end of May

Reactions: ScotO
I am new to having our own woodstove a couple of months ago so still really excited about it. Yep, burning right now and we live in Maryland not too far from PA (low's in the upper 30's last night and forecasted for tonight). We are burning some of the twisted knotty less stackable pieces along with some wood chips and bark from just split about 6 cords in the last 6 weeks. Stay warm!

Been loading night time fires for a while with lows in the 30's. I'm not going to load tonight even with mid 30's predicted. It's still in the 50's right now and 72 in the house so I can't make myself feed the stove. Looking at the 10 day I have high hopes of being done by May 1st. :)

still having some fires, can't believe the high is going to be 40 on saturday. I think March was warmer than April, it has been a crazy year so far. 2012 so I guess anything goes with the Mayan predictions, is this the last cinco de Mayo?

After watching the pittsburgh penguins last week, golfandwoodnut, it just may be !!

I grew up in Port Vue, near McKeesport, if ya know where that is- Worked as a starter at Butler's and Riverview Golf courses. Where do you have those acres near the 'burgh?

I may light one tonight, I only light at night if its 45 or below in the late evening or if a cold fronts coming through and the temp is supposed to drop into the 30's.

I'm putting a small fire on most evenings so far since the weekend - it's been raining here, so it's more to drive the moisture out than anything else. I don't think I put on a fire at all last week as we were having summer-like weather. I'm burning some punky fir and spruce at this point.

Hopefully we'll be able to go to cold-shutdown by May 15 at the latest....

Been burning 24/7 again for a few days now, and it looks like a few days more.

The weather will do what it wants to. I'm just happy that we have been receiving some very needed rain.

pen

I'm still burning.

Just got home from work, lit the stove, will be loading shortly for the overnight burn. I usually light one at night when the temp goes into the 40's.

I went virtually all of March without having a fire but have had a quite a few morning and late evening fires in April to take the chill off.
There is probably going to be ice around StL for awhile but its located in the Scotttrade Center. So I'll be comfortable.

Hey Everybody ! What's goin on ?

Still the odd fire here in Central Saskatchewan, though it is in high 30s at Night and 50 in daytime. Lots of windows in the Lindal Cedar Home, so it is 72 during day in here..

The Blaze King Guardian definitely was not up to the job of warming 800 sq ft of open floorplan in the front living area this Winter. 200 sq ft of rear bedrooms were cold.

The problem is that it only has r15 pink in the 1975 built walls up here on the main floor, and 14 foot ceilings that gobble all the hot air. Ceiling fan not a big help.

Front living area and kitchen were iffy with Blaze King full stoked holding max 68F or so to -20F. Got -35 nights here for a bit. Big Wood in this little stove will go 5 hours or so..

I will be hauling this stove down to the walk out insulated basement and installing it there instead. Should warm it good down there as half the basement is below the frost line, as house is built into a hill, with a fairly low ceiling down there and hopefully will it warm the upstairs bedroom floors directly above it a little which will help a lot at night..for 4 hours.

That means I am looking for another stove..think i may have found one up to the job. This little Blaze King is better suited for a trailer or a small fishing cabin or something in which case it would be more than enough. On the upside she is awfully efficient and honestly just a few short logs will keep her busy all afternoon. It is just that the firebox is so small that extended burns are not possible. Also, she does get hot enough to cook on which is nice and a at low burn she will keep the coffee warm or roast chestnuts just fine.

I will keep her downstairs as it is nice to watch the fire through the glass and it is a well insulated bunker down there so she will do fine. Will keep y' all updated on my efforts to stay warm in this leaky old Lindal Cedar Home. This Winter was a thick sweater cold unfortunately. Let's see if this old dog has learned any tricks for next winter ! Ol Dan

Still burning here in Unity, Maine . . . we have had some stretches of nice weather though where I could go 24, even 48 hours, without a fire . . . and mostly we're doing morning and evening fires now instead of running 24/7.

The stoves got a break for most of March and early April. Now the boss is lighting small hot evening fires to drive the dampness out on the cool rainy April days. Keeps the house comfy until the sun hits it in the morning...

KaptJaq

Still burning here in SE michigan.

Been trying to tough it out, said screw it, had a nice fire going last night. Hard to pull myself away from the hearth to go to bed.

Reactions: ScotO and tfdchief
Still chilly here in eastern pa overnight and in the morning. I will start the stove before bed, then in the morning if nessessary.

Reactions: tfdchief
I don't know if it is because we spoiled ourselves or what, but after no fire for well over a week, we had to light up on Monday and again this morning as the house was just too chilled. Outside has been cloudy, raining and down in the 40's at night...

Warm stove really brightened everyone up in the morning though so it was well worth it.

I keep thinking I've lit my last fire for the season... then I get reminded that nature is in charge.

Reactions: tfdchief
Status
Not open for further replies.