Who Said it's Shoulder Season ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

www_godzilla

Oct 24, 2008
Portland,Maine
As I lay here in my bed, I look at the thermometer. It says it's 9 degrees and it's only 10pm. This morning it was 2 degrees out. I'm still burning tons and tons of wood pellets. This past January and February were the coldest in years. Looks like march is going to be a cold one also.

Suppose to drop to a low of 7F here tonight.
I'd say it's more like Pellet Hoarding Season
rather than Shoulder Season. I'll be out
Hoarding tomorrow. ;-)

10 below 0 on my porch this morning. Dogs went out for a minute the then were jumping on the door wanting back in. 6.5 tons of pellets sitting in my garage. Hope this winter will end so I'll have my back up available for the next season. Looks like I'll have burned about a 1.5 tons more than I did during the past two years. Don't want to jinx myself, but my stove hasn't had any repairs. I got the message early on. Clean, clean, clean. With these cold temps, high fuel prices going even higher, you just know these stove shops are going to be very busy.
Hd and others are being very short sighted having moved out heating supplies in favor of lawn chairs and barbecues.

Wish it was true, But still burning the good stuff here too! Warmer weather just hasn't made it here yet! Soon?

Shoulder season hasn't arrived here in Eastern Mass either. 9 degrees here this AM. The stove is still cranking.

Yes, it was zero degrees this morning. Fireside ultras kept up though.
Warmer times coming, though will be burning for probably another month.
Then it's off to grab next year's pellets !

Had 11 below here when I left for work, hopefully that's it for the year.

I am using both of my stoves. Both I have set on the lower settings using presto logs. I seem to be going through less pellets with 2 stoves going than I do with just one going.

Only -2 F this morning , live on a hill.

It was -10 here this morning not a big deal.

Rain in the forecast for here shortly and it looks like Blizzard Alley is gonna get a blizzard next week.

Hasn't been too bad here, 20-25* during the say and 5-10* at night. The 65mph wind I could do without though.

33 now with high's in the 50's, time to shut her down!!, bye bye winter!!!
Florida is becoming a serious thought daily, cheap homes, cheap taxes, and no Pellet's!!

Pellet-King said:
33 now with high's in the 50's, time to shut her down!!, bye bye winter!!!
Florida is becoming a serious thought daily, cheap homes, cheap taxes, and no Pellet's!!

My inlaws are in Ocala. Guess what there looking into! :)

Shoulder Season???? I think it is more like Humerus season, one day its 50 and then the next day, 30 with 3-5 inches of snow.

We had snow earlier this week and temps in the low 30's

Now its a tad warmer but really wet.

Still stove season for sure.

Been running just one stove the past week. Hoping that we can soon shut down the big stove and just run the little one until summer.

Going through 40+ pounds of shells a day in the Advantage 2T.

A 50 gallon barrel lasts just 5 days. This weather sucks it up fast for sure.

Snowy

I think we are finally in shoulder season(for a bit anyway). Only supposed to have one night forcast below 20ºF for the next 10 days. Switched to the Last of my O Malleys. Sure hope it last's!

Now to melt that danged snow keeping the boat pened up in the back yard! :blank:

For the record I said it was shoulder season a while ago since I stopped burning my Cubex.

Just because mother nature is funning with us don't get confused spring is in 16 days or so.

It's almost time to plant the peas, dig out the BBQ, and brood some chicks.

Must be pretty close to "shoulder" season....I finally saw the rest of my front sidewalk and deck for the first time since December. :coolsmile:

Shoulders to me is above 20ºF for the overnite low. I had 10ºF Friday and about 17ºF last night. Tonight is going to be close to 40ºF+. Only one perjected night below 20ºF for next week.

Guess we need to standardize shoulder season some! :)

j-takeman said:
Shoulders to me is above 20ºF for the overnite low......Guess we need to standardize shoulder season some! :)

I think 20 °F is somewhat low for "shoulder season" night temp. I think somewhere in the high 30's is more like it.....even if daytime temp gets into the high 40's or low 50's, you still need some heat.

imacman said:
j-takeman said:
Shoulders to me is above 20ºF for the overnite low......Guess we need to standardize shoulder season some! :)

I think 20 °F is somewhat low for "shoulder season" night temp. I think somewhere in the high 30's is more like it.....even if daytime temp gets into the high 40's or low 50's, you still need some heat.

20º's is when I can cut the stove back to Auto/Off and safley swap to the not so good stuff. So I guess it kind of varies like stoves burn pellets. If we go by 30º's then most of next week isn't projected to be shoulders. :) Pretty sure the heat will be on till May sometime. :red:

j-takeman said:
20º's is when I can cut the stove back to Auto/Off and safley swap to the not so good stuff. So I guess it kind of varies like stoves burn pellets. If we go by 30º's then most of next week isn't projected to be shoulders. :) Pretty sure the heat will be on till May sometime. :red:

I hope my stove is going to get shut down before May. I'd like to be able to get any new birds outside without a heat lamp by the middle of June if I actually brood some chicks this spring. Somehow I've got to be able to reclaim my garage for pellet bunkering.

Shoulder season here is last 2 weeks of April normally. Snow is gone by then but 20s at night.
Planted tomato seeds today. Set the tray by the stove to help them sprout.
In 6 weeks the GH should be warm enough.
Sure hope our spring is not late like yuns in the lower 48.
We get 2 - 3 weeks of spring, then summer is here in May.
7°f now, to be sunny 30 tomorrow afternoon. 11 hours of daylight :)

Well its going to be raining like hell with temperatures in the mid to upper 30's tonight.
Then it's going to be 13 degrees tomorrow night.
They are predicting 3 plus inches of rain here in Portland. With the temperature going down in the low teens tomorrow night we azre talking some wicked slippery conditions after.
Northern maine is supposed to get up to 3 feet of snow tonight and tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.