Who stops cutting in the woods during hunting season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaDave

Minister of Fire
Feb 23, 2008
Northern MI - in the mitten
Just curious, cause I just started on my SIL's woodlot, and now don't feel comfortable running the saw while guys are trying to bag some venison.
Sucks too, because I may not get back in until spring......when the ticks show up.:mad:
What say ye?

I cut. My window of cutting opportunity is mid-Oct to mid-Dec. I (hopefully) know who is hunting my land and will give them the heads up I generally cut after lunch. They are usually cleared out by then anyway. However I got one friend who is a tree standing bow hunter. He will spend 8-10 hours up in the stand. Not sure if he is hunting or taking a vacation from his better half ;).

I only cut in certain areas, I think for me up top is the safest. I will run the trails with the Rhino just to check on the idiot (s) that will go on posted land.

Rifle season ends on Dec 2 in our region in NYS.
zap

I have a bunch of trees close to the house that need to come down, I'll do that during hunting season, I don't want to go too deep in the woods.

During Bow Season yes, will cut. But not during rifle season. Rifle season in Kansas is only about 1 1/2 weeks long anyways.

i don't cut, split or haul during hunting season cuz i hunt on my land and i want the deer to feel nice and safe and cozy. once there are 2 in my freezer i'm breaking out the splitter and working on 14/15.

Reactions: ScotO
I'm across the road from the NAt'l forest. I stay out of there from Bow (october) on unless I'm hunting and scrounge after rifle is over.(End of november or so) Won't even walk the dog there, some people post up nearby my house,especially early in the season,and don't want to screw them up. Not worried about other guys in the winter muzzleloader/bow seasons(December) too much. I'm usually the only one stupid enough to go hunting then.:) Hopefully will have a deer by Dec and cut a lot from then on. Have cut a bit of small stuff on sundays / too windy to hujnt days on my own land, though.

I only cut in the Spring and early Fall just here on my place. No hunters allowed and the deer mob the place getting away from hunters. ;lol

Reactions: PapaDave
Yeah, it all depends. I don't think cutting wood, or even being outside, will scare the deer off in these parts. They are so used to human presence, that it really isn't hard to kill them at all. Killed 8 does one morning in 2 hours just by walking around a farm. Whether I cut or not would depend on my mood. Do I feel like hunting or cutting that day. On Sunday, when there is almost no hunting allowed, with a couple exceptions, I would be out cutting. Plus, I am more of a waterfowl/wingshooter anyway than a hunter of hooved animals. Being in a blind with heat, food, drink, and friends yakking it up sure beats sitting in a deer stand all day alone and being very quiet IMO. However, to each their own. Now, if I am out cutting during muzzleloader or gun season, you can bet I will be wearing blaze orange. I've been out hunting during gun season and had morons riding horses around in the woods with no blaze orange on. I guess not everybody knows when hunting season is and/or how much damage a slug, sabot, or rifle bullet can do.

When I have logs to buck,split or stack up at processing area north of the house during deer season (3 different ones here for bow,shotgun & muzzleloader from early November to early December,plus a bonus doe only season in January sometime),that's where I stay.I dont even go for a walk on the trails wearing blaze orange then.Last Saturday was cleaning up some odds & ends around noon when I heard 8 quick booms several hundred yards to my SW in neighboring property.

I haven't cut during rifle season-ever. But i still pick up the tops and ends if the pickings are just too good to pass up. Around these parts, using a saw is sometimes like ringing a dinner bell for those hungry timber rats!!!

I cut if I need to. Neighbors are happy because movement in the woods can push deer around. If I cut I will even bring my rifle with me. I have had deer (and even turkeys) come up on me while I've been cutting before. I take an hour or two break when I'm cutting to still hunt --- It's the best of both worlds

We dont have a rifle season here but when I go hunting I take a shotgun and a chainsaw. One day during first season deer a buddy and me were cutting down some trees where we hunted but had our shotguns loaded and saftly stashed close at hand. Deer are kinda curious creatures and it seems that a couple snuck up to see what we where doing. Well, needless to say, we had a good supply of farwood and 2 deer to eat.

Reactions: milleo and ScotO
I do, cause it's me out there doing the hunting. I only cut and hunt on my own 25 acre place. Hunted yesterday, cut some this afternoon up this end of the woods, will be out on the far side before sunrise tomorrow looking for young tender ones for the freezer.::-)

I was splitting along the road into my place just last week when two young does walked up and watched me for a while. Curious they are. Of course, they're use to seeing me and know very well they're safe.:)

I was splitting along the road into my place just last week when two young does walked up and watched me for a while. Curious they are. Of course, they're use to seeing me and know very well they're safe.:)

They say curiosity killed the cat. It has killed a few does too. It is amazing that the noise doesn't bother them. Some days when I am on the tractor, I can ride to within 20 feet before they take off.

I won't cut where I hunt during season. But if its somewhere else ill cut as long as no one is there hunting at the time.

I tend to stay out of the woods during gun season...I dont hunt anymore due to the huge number of idiots out there that will shoot at anything.
I also hate the fact that all around my property there are deer stands facing me...:mad:

Just curious, cause I just started on my SIL's woodlot, and now don't feel comfortable running the saw while guys are trying to bag some venison.
Sucks too, because I may not get back in until spring......when the ticks show up.:mad:
What say ye?
I generally don't cut wood in September, October, or November until most of the hunting seasons are over. The regular gun deer season opens tomorrow and lasts for nine days, then I will be back in the woods after that.

Wood cutting season and hunting season go hand in hand around here, but it's never a problem. Most hunters around here are cautious and well disciplined, and we have lots of open space. More likely to get hit by lighting then to get hit by a stray bullet.

On my own land and on the family land . . . I've cut during hunting season . . . since there shouldn't be anyone else out there hunting as the family has posted their land ever since an unfortunate incident with some out of state hunters thugs.

I avoid cutting on saturdays and the first week of the rifle season, but beyond that I don't see a big problem. I avoid any hunters I know are there, and I am not inclined to cut early in the morning when a lot of hunters prefer to hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.