Whole lotta Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VTHC

Nov 12, 2009
Northwestern Vermont
[UPDATED WITH PICS]

Went out last Thursday to start tackling a HUGE Maple blow down. Snow was still way too deep, but we managed to get about a cord so far. Still not even into the real "meat" of the leader that fell down.
We're gonna have to wait for the rest of the tree to break apart because the main trunk is probably 5 feet across. Sort of a shame to see such an old/majestic tree come to the end of it's life, but then again, we don't want the wood going to waste.

Here is the tree (with the leader on the ground):
maple.png

Another view after we started processing the top of the leader. My chainsaw is resting on the branch in the lower left:
maple#2.png

Starting the work:
maple_leader#1.png

This is the snow we had to deal with... that is my knee at snow level:
snow_depth.png

Here is my cutting buddy trying to lighten the load so we could skid the leader to our work area (weren't able to... too much snow for his tractor w/chains):
ontop.png

Another view of the work at hand:
tractor.png

It is a shame to see those old trees go, but they will in time. We had an old beech like yours and it was a shame to see it go, but, they all will die in their time. But it can take a pretty good saw to get through some of those old trees. Working in the deeper snow can be tough as it makes extra work, but I'd rather do it now than next summer!

Yes, it is a shame to see 'em go, but at the same time I find myself greatful that I could be on the scene to enjoy the harvest.

Nice to harvest them to keep you warm instead of letting them rot.I still will leave 2-3 old snags standing per acre whenever possible though.

Backwoods Savage said:
But it can take a pretty good saw to get through some of those old trees. Working in the deeper snow can be tough as it makes extra work, but I'd rather do it now than next summer!

My 18" bar is no match for some of that tree to come. The snow makes it hard to maneuver and get good safe footing, but i would much rather do it now then in the summer, for sure! Without the frozen ground we probably wouldn't be able to get the wood out anyway (trail leading in is pretty wet/muddy all year round).
We've been splitting on the spot and carting it out in wood bins made from pallets from my buddy's landscape business. Has worked really well for moving/storage/stacking/seasoning.
Looking forward to going out on Saturday if the weather cooperates!

Thistle said:
Nice to harvest them to keep you warm instead of letting them rot.I still will leave 2-3 old snags standing per acre whenever possible though.

For sure! A lot of that tree is already starting to rot in the middle of the main trunk. Want to get to it before there are no salvageable BTUs - which seems to happen quick with Sugar Maples.

Status
Not open for further replies.