Who's the computer genius now!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trundle

Feb 12, 2011
Western MT
Just kidding. Thanks for the help everyone. Went down to the neighbors place a couple weeks ago and dropped a decent sized (33" or so) Doug Fir.(dead top root rot, mistletoe, over-mature, etc.). It leaned back a little towards his shop but easily wedgeable. He'll probably firewood the top half of the tree and try to chainsaw mill something useful out of the butt log. You can see the beginning of rotting on the outside edge of the butt. Left the stump higher than I normally would 'cause of nails in the base.

Attachments

• 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 430
  • 054.jpg
    054.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 432
  • 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 452
Get the milling turning!

salvage sale after significant wildfire damage...

Attachments

• IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 376
  • DSC00330.jpg
    DSC00330.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_0669.jpg
    IMG_0669.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 386
  • IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_0737.jpg
    IMG_0737.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 383
Yeah Andrew. Now if I can figure out how to embed video... (I can just see the eyes rolling right now). Ha Ha

Trundle said:
Just kidding. Thanks for the help everyone. Went down to the neighbors place a couple weeks ago and dropped a decent sized (33" or so) Doug Fir.(dead top root rot, mistletoe, over-mature, etc.). It leaned back a little towards his shop but easily wedgeable. He'll probably firewood the top half of the tree and try to chainsaw mill something useful out of the butt log. You can see the beginning of rotting on the outside edge of the butt. Left the stump higher than I normally would 'cause of nails in the base.

Niiiice. :coolsmile: I'm thinking 3 x 12 workbench tops,3 x 6 stretchers & 4 x 6 legs for same...

Wow! That's great. Don't think I could handle anything that size, however.

Thats My kinda Office!

Trundle said:
Yeah Andrew. Now if I can figure out how to embed video... (I can just see the eyes rolling right now). Ha Ha
Nice thats quite a jump from not being able to post pics to embedding videos Keep pushing the bar!

Leaving the stump higher than normal is something I do quite often. My bender doesn't like to bend too much and it is easier to fell the tree and then go back to get the rest of the stump as I can then get down on my knees to work. NO, I won't fell a tree that I have to cut while on my knees. No way!

Jay. A cool sunny fall day out in the woods? Hell yeah. Bout as good as it gets and I bet everyone here would agree!

Andrew. Video may even be easier. A buddy claims just post it to youtube then its pretty straightforward to post it to a forum like this. We'll see. I remain very sceptical...

Dennis. I hear you. I definitely don't bend like I used to and when given even the slightest excuse will opt to high stump every time. Seems like a more natural saw handling position which makes it safer right off the bat. Not to mention the fact that anything having to do with a grown man spending time on his knees...ha ha

edit. Don't get the wrong impression. It's not like I've got the most amazing pics or video. Just is fun to see what everybody's up to out in their neck of the woods. Oh yeah, and BB - big or small, the procedure stays the same. Every now and then though a guy will tend to get a little nervous (which is just another safety factor that works in your favor if it heightens your awareness in a sketchy situation).

Status
Not open for further replies.