why can't you burn Duraflames in a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
Does anyone know the reasoning ?

I know they don't seem to produce much heat. To me it seems like burning a big, dirty crayon!

There are two reasons, both having to do with the wax in them.

reason 1. They outgas very quickly and burn HOT because of the wax, and can very quickly and easily overfire a stove, even at low air control. Turning the air control all the way down to try to prevent the massive heat can starve the fire for air, causing smoke, which will condense and coat the chimney/flue/chimney cap.

reason 2. The condensing smoke is signifigantly worse than creosote, as it contains wax and will ignite more easily and burn hotter than creosote, making for very dangerous chimney fires.

I do use small chunks of duraflame logs as fire starters.

I use one to two wax logs per year in my stove. I chop them up into small golfball sized chunks for an excellent matchlight firestarter. Beside my stove is a coffee can full of these balls.

I wouldn't think of burning a whole log. Wood works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.