Why consider covering now, when a massive storm is coming?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Read all the different opinions on covering vs not vs sometimes. In the face of Irene hitting the east coast, I see a lot of posters are thinking of covering as this storms nears. I think our region has seen significant rains over the last 5-10 days. Most folks are not covering for those, because "wood is not a sponge" and so forth. So why worry about a single large event, where the bulk of the rain will roll off the wet wood surface anyhow? And further, why think about putting a tarp/cover on a wood pile now, in the face of 100+ mph winds? My only concern will be covering the splitter. I have a cover on the section of wood next up for the burner that is 15x30. It has survived all storms this past year with no issue. I may drop a few stones across the lead edge but that is it.

mywaynow said:
Read all the different opinions on covering vs not vs sometimes. In the face of Irene hitting the east coast, I see a lot of posters are thinking of covering as this storms nears. I think our region has seen significant rains over the last 5-10 days. Most folks are not covering for those, because "wood is not a sponge" and so forth. So why worry about a single large event, where the bulk of the rain will roll off the wet wood surface anyhow? And further, why think about putting a tarp/cover on a wood pile now, in the face of 100+ mph winds? My only concern will be covering the splitter. I have a cover on the section of wood next up for the burner that is 15x30. It has survived all storms this past year with no issue. I may drop a few stones across the lead edge but that is it.

My wood is gonna get wet and there isn't anything I can do about it.. With 100 MPH wind I'll be lucky if my stacks don't fall over nevermind a tarp being instanly destroyed.. The way it looks right now we might see a Cat. 2 hurricane in my location and I am worried more that some big oaks, pines and maples don't land on my house..

Ray

Because keeping this-year's wood covered has never been a big challenge, and because wet wood burns v. poorly.
No biggie to drop some tarps down to cover the sides, and hold them in place with some of next-year's.
Or did I miss something fear-worthy?

I'm not gonna bother covering. This is a tropical system and while granted could produce a lot of moisture, they are "quicker movers" vs. our traditional northeasters and I think anything you cover it with is just as likely to blow away. Besides, I don't cover till the snow flies, period.

I would not worry about it, you still have quite awhile until winter hits so not a big deal if the wood gets soaked. I would bet it will be dry again in a few days. I am more afraid of other damage.

All it takes is a bit of dry weather and some wind to get rid of all the moisture that the rain will cause. If some have not noticed, the day following a storm usually brings some wind and dries everything up. Why would my wood be any different?

Im more concerned with my maple tree in my front yard bloowing over than I am about my wood getting wet.

I have a couple sections of covering leaning up against the side of a tree - procrastinated all Summer, and didn't get around to bringing them inside. Don't want them to blow away, so they will finally be getting moved into the basement where all the other covers are.

I don't cover my wood unless snow and ice are forecast, and then only the next week or so worth.

I did load up my one of my wood sheds last night. I figured I might as well get it in there while it's dry.

I'm opting out of covering. From the looks of it, I'd have to chase the tarps around twice, once from each direction that the storm spins from.

:mad:

I keep thinking back and recall many times when something like this happens it starts a long rainy season and that would be the reason for covering. It would also depend upon what you are covering with rather it would withstand the winds. But that would not stop you from covering a couple days following the hurricane and for some folks it could make a big difference. If the wood is already dry, say, been stacked for 2 years or more, then I would worry not about it.

Maybe the tarps tied down to the wood piles would help keep them more stable and less likely to fall over?

Well I was thinking of covering this years wood as I'm probably only 3-4 weeks away from my first burn. What I was going to do was put plastic on over the pile and put pallets on top and against the sides. And then of course uncover it right away when the rain stops. But pretty busy so not sure if I'll get to it. May all the downed trees to come fall safely and not hit anything:)

I rather like the idea of my wood receiving 24 hours of 70mph wind up against it.

Hhehee....in all seriousness, I'm betting any tarping would be gone - the stuff isn't made to hold at these winds for the most part - and I'm not gonna cover it so much that no rain can hit it. And with these winds, rain is gonna be pounding into it sideways.

ruserious2008 said:
Well I was thinking of covering this years wood as I'm probably only 3-4 weeks away from my first burn. What I was going to do was put plastic on over the pile and put pallets on top and against the sides. And then of course uncover it right away when the rain stops. But pretty busy so not sure if I'll get to it. May all the downed trees to come fall safely and not hit anything:)

I may do the same on the racks that hold the wood Im burning this year.

Well, I've never been much in favor of tarping and that would be a struggle through a hurricane.

I just talked to one of my sons and he says the ground is already saturated from so much rain so any that comes from Irene could make things serious. On the other hand, that thing has already decreased in intensity and down to a level 2. If the eye hits land it will no doubt peter out fast. However, that does not mean folks won't get some serious wind and rain; just not as severe as the news media wants to make it out to be.

Watching and preparing for strong winds up here in the upper valley. Connecticut river is 300 yards behind house and weather channel model has the most reliable path of storm going literally through my yard. Me and John Deere have put 100 to 200 pound pieces of my uncut sugaring wood-at least 32 inches long on top of my tin which is covering my house wood. Down side location-wise for us is we often get a lot of wind here as the New Hampshere mts are behind me and toward the west and north the Vermont ones. I am in the middle of farm fields like little house on the praire, lol. Just battem down and watching my yard trees.

Well, if your wood gets really wet, don't sweat it. I'm sure there will be plenty of CL listings soon, advertising "seasoned firewood". :shut: You folks on the East Side, stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.