why does my house smell of smoke?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I have a new 8 inch SS insulated liner installed into a 35 foot interior masonary chimney. I have a new king ultra installed and have only had maybe 8-10 fires in the stove. I have not burned in a couple of months. But whenever it rains or becomes very humid the house begins to smell like smoke. As you get closer to the stove the smell gets stronger. What could this be ? How can I stop it ? I had an old VC Defiant into an 8X8 clay flue chimney and burned that for 10 years and have never had this smell !

Is the stove in the basement? This sounds like negative pressure or downdraft. A simple solution might be to stuff something like a garbage bag in the flue opening for the summer. Put a big sign in the stove to remove it before lighting up in fall.

The heavy damp air sinks down your chimney and brings some sooty smell with it. Try stuffing a rag in the air intake, just remember to take the rag out this Fall.

You might want to also do a thorough cleaning of the stove pipe and stove . . . even if you've only had a few burns in it to remove any residue. Some folks have also had luck in putting a box of baking soda in their firebox for odor issues.

What they said. Take some old clothes that are heading to the goodwill, put them in a trash bag and and stuff the pipe full, blocking all air flow through the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.