Why does my saw leak bar oil?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bmore

Burning Hunk
Jun 14, 2014
Baltimore MD
Hey All,
I recently purchased an Echo 590 saw. I'm happy with the performance vs my old Poulan, but I've notice that it leaks a lot of bar oil when not in use. Is there a remedy for this? Do I need to drain the oil after every use? Any one else have this issue?
Thanks!

Remove the bar oil cap after each use to relieve pressure. Most saws leak bar oil to a certain degree, but that should help.

Reactions: Bmore
Thanks for asking the question, and for your answer too. My chainsaw leaks as well, I assumed it was normal but messy, never having owned one before.

I have yet to see a chainsaw that did not lose at least some minor amount of B&C oil between uses. I try to always store mine in a place where I won't really care. Actually my Stihl is fairly good that way but when it gets long term storage I had better make provision for it to leak.

Reactions: Bmore
What has been mentioned before + pull your bar and clean the mounting area as well as the bar groove and the oil supply port both on the saw and in the bar. A lot of us open up the bar supply port( on the bar) as well as it gets clogged with sawdust/chips. Never met a saw that doesn't dribble some bar oil after the day is done.

Some of my saws didn't leak new but as they've aged they all seem to do it to some degree. Both my 372's do as does my 346, 036 and 056. Opening the bar oil cap before storing helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.