Why does my saw sometimes cut crooked?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
I have a Husqvarna 450 with an 18" bar and I notice sometimes when I'm bucking larger logs my cut will start straight and for some reason it will end up crooked or slanted towards the end of the cut. I don't notice this is happening while I'm cutting but when I roll the log to finish the cut I'll see that it's slanted towards the bottom of the cut. Anyone know what would cause this? Maybe I need a larger saw for the larger trees. :lol:

could be your chain needs sharpened

I'm going to guess it's a dull chain or the chain was sharpened wrong.

zap

I have 3 chains that I rotate. I have them sharpened at the dealer where I bought the saw. In-between sharpening I use a dremel with a 3/16 stone which sharpens them up pretty good. All in all I try to keep the chains pretty sharp as I hate cutting with dull chains.

My old saw did that also, until I replaced the bar. Must have gotten bent a little. Now it cuts straight as new.

Check the top plate angles on the left & right cutters, & also raker height. Many grinders have slight variance from left to right. Also check cutter length from left & right. Any of these variations can cause the problem, if the chains are good, dress or replace your bar. Good luck & let us know. A C

It's your chain....one side is cutting faster than the other (sharper) and it cuts on a radius this way. Resharpen the chain well and all will be fine.

When I first started sawing, I had this problem when filing by hand.

Solution:
1. Use file guide.
2. Use more strokes.

Reasoning:

The angles were more consistent between L anr R cutters with file guide.

More strokes removes more of the cutter to fix the angles. If you don't take off enough of the cutter, the desired angle may not be achieved on each cutter tooth.

BTDT. My bet is that the bar rails are not level. One is higher than the other.
Pull the chain and put a precision square on the rails- you'll see if one's higher than the other.
This can easily be rectified with a bench grinder, using the grinder's adjustable rest to "aim" the bar at the center of the grinding wheel. When both rails show grinding marks, the rails are square to the bar. HTH.

albertj03 said:
I have a Husqvarna 450 with an 18" bar and I notice sometimes when I'm bucking larger logs my cut will start straight and for some reason it will end up crooked or slanted towards the end of the cut. I don't notice this is happening while I'm cutting but when I roll the log to finish the cut I'll see that it's slanted towards the bottom of the cut. Anyone know what would cause this? Maybe I need a larger saw for the larger trees. :lol:

It is one of the following:

1) Your chain is unevenly filed

2) Your rakers are unevenly filed

3) The rails on your bar are out of true

4) Your chain is too loose allowing it is cant a little one way or the other

Thanks guys. I'll have to put the guide back on my dremel and see that helps first. Not sure why I took it off in the first place. Seems like the uneven filing could be to cause since it doesn't happen all the time. If being more consistent with filing doesn't stop it I'll try switching out the bar.

I have been wanting to get a bigger saw and I'm thinking about going Stihl this time. I like my 450 except for the fact that it likes to leak bar oil. Now I just need to convince the wife that I need a bigger saw.

+ 1 on the uneven bar rails. Especially if this is a minor issue you only notice sometimes. An unevenly sharpened chain will pull noticeably in one direction or the other, consistently throughout the cut.

If you are using a dremel tool to sharpen your chain I would bet dollars to doughnuts that your chain is sharpened unevenly, and Isn't as sharp as I could get it with a proper size file! Your saw is doing what the old pro's refer to as "cuttin circles".

KodiakII said:
If you are using a dremel tool to sharpen your chain I would bet dollars to doughnuts that your chain is sharpened unevenly, and Isn't as sharp as I could get it with a proper size file! Your saw is doing what the old pro's refer to as "cuttin circles".

+1

Get your chains properly sharpened first.

albertj03 said:
Thanks guys. I'll have to put the guide back on my dremel and see that helps first. Not sure why I took it off in the first place. Seems like the uneven filing could be to cause since it doesn't happen all the time. If being more consistent with filing doesn't stop it I'll try switching out the bar.

I have been wanting to get a bigger saw and I'm thinking about going Stihl this time. I like my 450 except for the fact that it likes to leak bar oil. Now I just need to convince the wife that I need a bigger saw.

Albert, also you need to be turning that bar from time to time.

Backwoods Savage said:
albertj03 said:

Albert, also you need to be turning that bar from time to time.

Yup I flip mine over every few weeks.Once a month give it a good cleaning,check for any wear or burrs,file them down & grease the sprocket too.

Does the 450 run a 3/16 in chain? My 350 uses one. I thought the 450's were bigger but maybe not. Just want to make sure you have the right size wheel.

pen

3/16's? Don't you mean .325?

The .325 calls for a 3/16 in file

pen

I've always seen 5/32's.

Battenkiller said:
5/32" file for 1/4 pitch and 3/8 lo-pro, 3/16" file for .325.

Yup. My wee Echo uses 5/32" file,everything else 7/32"

Thistle said:
Battenkiller said:

As it should be. All of my .325 saws have had the sprockets changed to run 3/8 lo-pro. It cuts as well as or better than .325, kicks less, and I can get super good deals on the stuff - less than $9/loop. Plus, I can see no purpose in having a 3-file inventory. At $15/dozen, they're expensive enough as it is.

Battenkiller said:
Thistle said:
Battenkiller said:

As it should be. All of my .325 saws have had the sprockets changed to run 3/8 lo-pro. It cuts as well as or better than .325, kicks less, and I can get super good deals on the stuff - less than $9/loop. Plus, I can see no purpose in having a 3-file inventory. At $15/dozen, they're expensive enough as it is.

I have a few gross of them setting around.....(Hope MMAUL hasnt found the stash) :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.