Why Does The Glass Get Dirty

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

erhalt1

Jan 23, 2008
Western Ohio
Hello, All

I just bought a Englander 25 PDVC MODEL over the weekend. I GOT IT FOR 750.00 NEW AT LOWES!!!! I haven't figured out yet how to get the heat all through the house yet, I have tired fans and the furnace fan, but the heat doesnt' really move to easy. Also the glass has white ash on it. It starts on the left side ( if you are looking at the front) and it moves over until 98% of the glass if covered. I have tried to see if there is a leak (testing with a match) but I find nothing. I am using about 2 bags a day. Does anyone have any insight to the glass problem. I want to heat the house, but I really wanted to see the fire.

thanks in advance,

Erhalt1

If it's white ash I think it's pretty normal. Mine starts first on the side closest to the ignitor and creeps over to the other side. I clean my glass at least every other day. If it's black soot on the glass then you need to give Mike a shout.

This is a stupid question, but do you shut your stove off, to clean the window. i would love to clean it everyday, but i don't want to shut the whole stove off to do it.

erhalt1 said:
This is a stupid question, but do you shut your stove off, to clean the window. i would love to clean it everyday, but i don't want to shut the whole stove off to do it.

I clean my stove daily. And I clean my glass daily as well. I also wait til my stove is fully cooled down before doing my daily cleaning. Only takes me about 10 minutes or so. I just would rather do it daily to avoid any possible side effects from not.

Also if you run your stove on low for the most part your glass will dirty up rather quicker.

I was shutting mine off everyday to clean it but since it's gotten really cold I'm not doing that. Now I just scrape the burn pot and wipe the glass really fast. It's a race to see if I can get it done without setting off the smoke detector right next to the stove. LOL

I clean my glass once or twice a day, not necessarily because it's totally dirty, but out of habit - I wipe it with a rag everytime I open the door. Usually in the morning and evening, I open up the door and take some of the excess ash from the burn pot and flick it over to the side. I do not turn off my stove to do this, and I rarely get even the least puff of smoke out of the stove when this happens, as I am careful not to disturb the burning pellets.

When you clean the glass with the stove on, do you turn the fan down or off. I am just trying to see what i need to do, there has to be something you can clean that glass with that would help reflect those ashes. I am sure they make some anti stick something........ to clean high temp glass with.

Ps thanks for all of your help.

Erhalt1

I viewed the Englanders instructions on my 25-PDVC as explicit "Always touch the "OFF" pad before refueling, warns against operating with hopper lid open and nowhere even suggested "door open" servicing while burning. I followed these instructions explicetly and always let the unit go into full shutdown before fueling and servicing until I observed a friend open the door slowly on his burning Harmon stove, stir the pellets and cast the ash to the side.
The word here is Caution and there could be risks involved. I only do this on the lowest settings and keep the opening time brief but do not fan the door. The problem as I see it is that this could allow one to become complacent and put off necessary maintenance cleaning. I would also recommend against this if you suspect the stove is not performing properly. I believe 4 days is the max before going into a full shutdown and cleaning The burnpot top and bottom and do the weekly maintenance every other time. I wipe the glass with a dry towel and that is clean enough for me. Save a good glass cleaning for the shutdown.

That is good information, I am an Eye Dr, so i deal with differnet types of glass and plasic all of the time. My main concern would be safety. You would have to be very careful, that a little ember would come out and burn you. So for now I think I will look in my bag of tricks and see if there is any glass cleaner on the opthalmic market that has some type of protectant, I would think this would be under welders glass. I may turn the fan off and clean the window real quick and shut it again, for now, i just hate to shut it down during 8 degreee weather and have to wait for it to start up. I am taking the maintance very seriously. Thanks for all your help.

Eric

erhalt1 said:
That is good information, I am an Eye Dr, so i deal with differnet types of glass and plasic all of the time. My main concern would be safety. You would have to be very careful, that a little ember would come out and burn you. So for now I think I will look in my bag of tricks and see if there is any glass cleaner on the opthalmic market that has some type of protectant, I would think this would be under welders glass. I may turn the fan off and clean the window real quick and shut it again, for now, i just hate to shut it down during 8 degreee weather and have to wait for it to start up. I am taking the maintance very seriously. Thanks for all your help.

Eric

Oh cool....an eye doc even looking to save the enviro and even some $$ :) I just had my exam last week and my eye doc did that new eye picture or scan ...something like that......then I viewed my eye balls on the plasma screen....was so cool......eye doc says I have very healthy eyes....lol
Back to pellet talk......I take the maintenance very seriously as well.....i paid enough for the stove....I want it at peak performance :)

Does the 25-pdvc have an adjustment on the auger also? Also if it does should it be all the way open?

AswsumSS glad to hear your exam went well the oc machine is a very good tool to show the macula, it shows swelling as well as the general health of the eye!

Thanks

Certainly risks involved with cleaning the pot while it's running but nothing a bit of common sense and some caution shouldn't fix. So far I've only managed to burn my fingers once while cleaning the glass. The glass seems to be the hottest exterior part of my stove. Easing the door open slowly does seem to stop smoke from escaping the stove most of the time but I've noticed that when the wind is blowing from the west, towards my vent & OAK, that some smoke will come out regardless of what I do.

It would be nice if there was a switch that allowed you to cut the blowers off momentarily to do a quick clean but I guess the dangers from someone forgetting to cut them back on are too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.