Why More Beech?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This is why I will take more Beech, they all seem to hollow out which makes it more dangerous to fell.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2530.jpg
    100_2530.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 417
  • 100_2523.jpg
    100_2523.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 429
Stax said:
You have snow already?

Sorry about that Stax, those pictures are from last winter, don't jinx us! :snake:

The date should be in the bottom right corner.

zap

zapny said:
Stax said:
You have snow already?

Sorry about that Stax, those pictures are from last winter, don't jinx us! :snake:

zap

Plow time!

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
Stax said:
You have snow already?

zap

Plow time!

They are talking about snow next week in the great lakes region. It's almost time to drain the old fluid in the plows then put in new.

We pushed some quaking aspen in last night to fill the racks before we get the rain and cold this weekend.

zap

This is why I will take more Beech, they all seem to hollow out which makes it more dangerous to fell.

I've never seen a large beech that wasn't hollow. Thanks for reminding everyone to remember that when felling.

I forget where you are Zap, but have you heard about the beech bark disease spreading across Michigan? As the huge Ash surplus from the borer begins to decline, the beech frenzy will begin. It's very disturbing as beech and ash are two of my favorite trees. On the flip side, they are also two of my favorite firewoods.

Waulie said:

I've never seen a large beech that wasn't hollow. Thanks for reminding everyone to remember that when felling.

I forget where you are Zap, but have you heard about the beech bark disease spreading across Michigan? As the huge Ash surplus from the borer begins to decline, the beech frenzy will begin. It's very disturbing as beech and ash are two of my favorite trees. On the flip side, they are also two of my favorite firewoods.

The town of Colton in New York State. Do you have any articles or pictures of the Beech bark disease?

Edit; After doing some reading I think we are already dealing with it in NYS.

zap

Zap took me for a tour of his wood factory and it indeed is a dandy. He will never run out of wood and it is doubtful he will ever run out of downed or leaning stuff to cut up. I also saw first hand why he uses his winch so much as it is difficult to find any flat land there.

Thanks Zap. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wonderful wife.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap took me for a tour of his wood factory and it indeed is a dandy. He will never run out of wood and it is doubtful he will ever run out of downed or leaning stuff to cut up. I also saw first hand why he uses his winch so much as it is difficult to find any flat land there.

Thanks Zap. It was a pleasure meeting you and your wonderful wife.

Like you said in your email, it would of been nice if we had more time. We are very glad we meant the Sav's, I'm glad both got to see the property.

Seems to me I came up short two pieces of CAKE, :coolsmirk: my wife was wondering how they were.

zap

Those did not seem to keep well as they disappeared rather quickly. Yummy!

Beech ROCKS! It's mostly all I've burned the last 8-10 years. I got about 40 cord left that needs run through the processor thats been cut for 3-4 years and it will be gone. Looking forward to some oak or hickory.

XactLEE said:
Beech ROCKS! It's mostly all I've burned the last 8-10 years. I got about 40 cord left that needs run through the processor thats been cut for 3-4 years and it will be gone. Looking forward to some oak or hickory.

Thats some nice wood, I guess we can call you BeechLEE!

zap

XactLEE said:

Get to Indiana where the grass is green and the girls are pretty! ;-P

Hate to see the trees going that way but I don't mind burning it a damn bit.

Burned almost nothing but beech for a few years. Splitting that I never used a maul or axe, nothing but the 10lb sledge and wedges could break that stuff apart for me.

I don't get to pick my firewood, it picks me. While I get what I get, I hope not to see splitting seasons like that again.

pen

Those big hollow beech were great gray squirrel trees.
Don't know if it's better to eat gray squirrel or cut fire wood from a hollow beech tree. (conundrum)
Don't have that choice here, red pine squirrels taste like eating pine tree branches so I may not have to make the choice unless I move.

Hollow centers:
Same for our birch, (don't get as big in diameter though) as soon as you see some dead branches on the top middle of the tree, time to get it down if you want to use it for firewood.
They hollow out & get blown over in a few years & like Zap said, can be dangerous to fall them. Cottonwoods do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.