Why Stainless Steel and is it necessary?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willoland

Dec 22, 2010
South Dakota
Hello,

For starters i would like to say this community is great, there is a wealth of information.

I ordered a US Stove Company 5500M and have some venting questions.

We have an existing triple wall 6" (6W TriStack) chimney we are currently using with the wood barrel stove. If i were to install a new chimney/liner i would use 4" due to the length.

My understanding is we are required to use a A or L type Stainless Steel inner wall chimney or SS liner. I believe mine is NOT SS but feel free to argue the fact. I would really prefer not to purchase a replacement for the triple wall. I plan to use a 4" Type L SS Inner/Galv Outer pipe from the stove to the 6" triple located at the wall. The triple wall includes 20 Ft vertical, 1 90 angle, 3 Ft Horizontal. I will use 2 45 angles, and approx 4 Ft of 4".

Do y'all foresee any issues with running the pellet stove into the 6" triple wall?

Would drafting issues be expected due to the larger size?

Would corrosion issues be expected burning only wood pellets?

Thank you for your time.

-William

ther is a adapter to go from 6 in triple wall to pellet vent. I vented my father in laws stove into an existing wood stove flue. Didnt have any draft issues. Just want to set things up for easy cleaning in the future. Clean out tee where needed ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.