WiFi extender/access point help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rob711

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2017
Long Island, ny
So I’m trying to pump some WiFi into my backyard. I purchased this Amazon product ASIN B08BZ59GT4Have a cat 5 wire from the back of my Verizon provided router/ WiFi station going to it. I mounted it outside on the corner of my house. The included directions are mostly incorrect and relatively useless. I’m able to set the extender up, it gives options to make it a repeater, bridge or ap. I picked ap, I’m able to change the ssid and password. All my families apple products can see the WiFi but will not connect. First it would say “weak security” then the phones would explain its using TKIP? And that’s not secure so change to wap2 or something alone those lines. I’m such not a tech guy.
It’s my understanding that this device should broadcast the exact WiFi that the inside is using, same IP address or whatever. A way more knowledgeable friend swears it’s Verizon’s fault and they make it difficult for non Verizon devices to communicate.. I’ve emailed the company and they send a file to to upload to help the encryption error. I was able to save the file but it won’t open when I try to import it to the extender. If it matters the little led over the port on the router won’t go on either when it’s plugged into it.
I’ve found Verizon routers on eBay but they would require coax wire along with power. Hoping for a poe option, preferably outdoor rated, although it’s pretty sheltered.
Any thoughts? Anyone on Long Island with Verizon Fios ever have any luck.

So I’m trying to pump some WiFi into my backyard. I purchased this Amazon product ASIN B08BZ59GT4Have a cat 5 wire from the back of my Verizon provided router/ WiFi station going to it. I mounted it outside on the corner of my house. The included directions are mostly incorrect and relatively useless. I’m able to set the extender up, it gives options to make it a repeater, bridge or ap. I picked ap, I’m able to change the ssid and password. All my families apple products can see the WiFi but will not connect. First it would say “weak security” then the phones would explain its using TKIP? And that’s not secure so change to wap2 or something alone those lines. I’m such not a tech guy.
It’s my understanding that this device should broadcast the exact WiFi that the inside is using, same IP address or whatever. A way more knowledgeable friend swears it’s Verizon’s fault and they make it difficult for non Verizon devices to communicate.. I’ve emailed the company and they send a file to to upload to help the encryption error. I was able to save the file but it won’t open when I try to import it to the extender. If it matters the little led over the port on the router won’t go on either when it’s plugged into it.
I’ve found Verizon routers on eBay but they would require coax wire along with power. Hoping for a poe option, preferably outdoor rated, although it’s pretty sheltered.
Any thoughts? Anyone on Long Island with Verizon Fios ever have any luck.

You want to set it up for a repeater for what you're wanting to do. Adding it as an access point makes it a separate network.

It seemed really promising, reset everything. I set it up as a repeater, named it. No good, weak security so it says. I’m feeling defeated. Probably send it back and try another.

I’m no expert, and perhaps this is the wrong thing for what you want, but I thought this article from cnet might help. I have no idea how it would interact with your particular system.