Wildfire in Minnesota affects 5 Wisconsin counties...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
We've got some oak,maple & locust sitting outside waiting the the splitter. I 'thought' we would get to it yesterday but due to air quality I called off the work due to smoke from a Minnesota wildfire:smoky haze

Wisconsin issued a 'red' air alert today because winds are bringing smoke from a northern Minnesota wildfire as far south as Milwaukee/Chicago. wildfire

The fire has engulfed at least 100,000 acres: acres destroyed

The smell was almost overwhelming of not just burnt wood but also had a tinge of burning rubber. Not pleasant at all.

Shari

shari, on early tue a.m. (12:15) i was up and running around the house due to the smell of smoke--pines or evergreens to be exact. you see, we had a very violent lightening/rain/hail storm that passed through our area near sunset...also, there are some red pines planted along the abandoned railroad grade across the street. i thought that maybe the lightening started a fire and it took that long to get going. checked every room, up and down...even looked outside at the pines-nope-no "glow". at 5:00, on the way to the coffee shop, the radio told about the fires in minn. and how the smoke is affecting so many others-even green bay area.
best part is, every one that i spoke to, about my midnight run, did the same thing in their house!

Same thing here - fire departments getting calls of possible fires because people are smelling the smoke. The FD's can't take a chance so they answer every call.

Shari

I smelled it on Tuesday morning and was wondering who was burning in the neighborhood then later on saw the news about the MN fire. I didn't smell anything today due to a more NW wind.

Smelled it here in Higgins Lake Michigan. Gave me some concern that there was a fire close by, until I watched the news.

It is amazing how far the smell of smoke can go. I recall when I was a young lad smelling and seeing smoke for a few days. Back then we didn't have media coverage like we do now but eventually learned of a large forest fire hundreds of miles from us. The wind, if I recall right, was from the north which probably meant it was somewhere in Canada where the fire was.

We had the smoke way down here on tuesday and Wednesday. Made for amazing sunsets. Couldn't smell it, but then we've got plenty other smelly smog to mask the odor.

Status
Not open for further replies.