Wildlife pics part II - 2010 deer season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OhioBurner©

Minister of Fire
Aug 20, 2010
Center of Ohio
Ok had a few more pics from this years archery hunts I wanted to post up...

800IMG_1949.jpg

800IMG_1797.jpg

800IMG_2182.jpg

800IMG_2071.jpg

800IMG_2079.jpg

800IMG_2033.jpg

800IMG_2113.jpg

800IMG_2164.jpg

Fantastic photos. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks all, off hand I wasnt sure what the bird is in the second picture? Is it a titmouse does anyone know? I'm no expert at birds but I do try and figure out what they are when I see em.

►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
Thanks all, off hand I wasnt sure what the bird is in the second picture? Is it a titmouse does anyone know? I'm no expert at birds but I do try and figure out what they are when I see em.

The bird in the second pic looks a lot like the tufted titmouse (titmice?) that I see here in Maine . . . but I'm not sure if Ohio and Maine have the same species.

Nice shots Burner, i really like them all, especially the bird shots. You guys are right, it is a titmouse....are 4 and five swallows? Remind me of a barn swallow. Anyway, I wanted to inquire as to what kind of camera you have? It really takes some nice picutures and obviously compact enough to carry in the woods. Hear you on the rotating schedule, i work a 24/7 shop that rotates every month from nights to days and jumps forward during that time too. Have to cary a schedule just to know when to go to work and when you should be sleeping.

cass

tcassavaugh said:
Nice shots Burner, i really like them all, especially the bird shots. You guys are right, it is a titmouse....are 4 and five swallows? Remind me of a barn swallow. Anyway, I wanted to inquire as to what kind of camera you have? It really takes some nice picutures and obviously compact enough to carry in the woods. Hear you on the rotating schedule, i work a 24/7 shop that rotates every month from nights to days and jumps forward during that time too. Have to cary a schedule just to know when to go to work and when you should be sleeping.

cass

Thanks, I appreciate it. 4 and 5 are Eastern Bluebirds I'm pretty sure, but like I said I'm just a novice when it comes to birds. The camera is a Canon S5 (8MP) that I got 2 years ago. Its not all that compact - similar in appearance to a SLR but a little smaller and lighter than those. One nice thing about the S5 is you can get an adapter ring that lets you put on regular SLR accessories like filter and such. All these shots are unfiltered though - just the camera. I'm already carrying a bow and a folding chair and small gear bag so throwing the camera in (and tripod) isnt too big a deal. When I go into the woods I'm loaded up pretty good lol.

Yeah our operation is 24/7 two shift 6-6. We are on a 5 week rotation thats balanced so we work the exact same # of days and nights. Kinda like this:
_MTWTFSS
1NNNNOOO
2DDDONNN
3OOODDDD
4OOOOOOO
5RRRRRRR
N is nights, D is days, O is off, and R is releif (on call). There are a total of 5 shifts so at any given time there is one shift on each of those weeks. It works out well but does require flipping you schedule 12hrs somewhate frequently (minumum 4 times in 5 weeks) but depending on your relief schedule it isnt unheard of to have to work a day, then a night, then a day in one week, then the next week starts back on nights! Saving grace is getting a week off every 5.

Thanks for the info.....man, that schedule is rough. We have a guy that was with PACOM that wants us to go to a similar schedule. I'm gettting too old for 12's let alone changing shift like that. Sounds similar to the schedule they use in the J-2 shop also. Hard to do for extended times.

I thought the birds might have been bluebird....not quite dark enough for swallow. Anyway, thanks for the info on the camera...keep it up, you take great shots....enjoy the jerkey :).

cass

tcassavaugh said:
Thanks for the info.....man, that schedule is rough. We have a guy that was with PACOM that wants us to go to a similar schedule. I'm gettting too old for 12's let alone changing shift like that. Sounds similar to the schedule they use in the J-2 shop also. Hard to do for extended times.

I thought the birds might have been bluebird....not quite dark enough for swallow. Anyway, thanks for the info on the camera...keep it up, you take great shots....enjoy the jerkey :).

cass

I've been on the schedule now for 5 years... my shift lead took a retirement package this year, he was 56 and worked for the company since he was 18. He was on a rotating shift for almost 40 years! Now during his time the actual shift schedule has changed, he worked at a power plant for almost 30 of those years and they are on a very similar but different rotation. Pretty much everyone in the power industry is on a similar rotation since its all 24x7 and they never want one shift to be better than another - like you would get all the new guys on the straight nights, etc. I like it because I sometimes get days off during the week, a couple weekends off, and a whole week off every 5. And the on-cal week if you take it off is only 32hrs and then you have 2 weeks off straight. So there are advantages.

Tufted titmouse
Eastern bluebird
Red-bellied woodpecker

nice pics!

I particularly love how you caught the (female) red bellied storing food!

Status
Not open for further replies.