will a Hearthstone tribute toss more heat than my qf 2100i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
looking at a Hearthstone tribute in the hopes that it will toss more heat than my quid 2100i insert

the plan is to install it in the same place (almost inside the fire place)

Thanks
steve

stock pics

DSCN1663.jpg

vs what i have now

http://www.quadrafire.com/downloads/productPhotos/largeImages/3100I_LG.JPG

I kind of doubt it with a small firebox. The insert has a blower that is going to extract more heat from the stove. You'd do better increasing the firebox size if one will fit there. Is there an insulated block off plate in place?

Thanks

no blower on my QF 2100 but i added a muffin fan - and yup full block off plate into a direct connect with rockwool around the insert

i do think the Tribute has a blower

Steve, I don't see how this switch could pencil for you.

The Quadrafire 3100i has a 2 cu.ft. firebox, and is rated to heat up to 2,000 sq.ft.
The Hearthstone Tribute has a 1.2 cu.ft. firebox, and is rated to heat up to 1,300 sq.ft.

If you like soapstone and want to get more radiant energy into the room than your insert provides, check out the Hearthstone Homestead at http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/hshmstd.htm

Thanks Tom however i am using a 2100i - it's pretty small

If it's the same firebox as the Quad 2100 Millenium it would be 1.46 cu ft.

Steve, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don't see how that little soapstone tribute is gonna throw more heat than the
little steel insert. I thought about a tribute for my fireplace but you ain't gonna fit more than two medium splits in that thing.
If you want heat... upgrade from to a medium stove not another small stove. Also, soapstone is going to heat slower than
a steel or cast (giving you lower btu's over a longer period).

EDIT: If you are not getting enough heat, I don't think this is going to solve your problem.

Rework your hearth/fireplace to accomodate a medium (2.5 cu. ft) stove or larger. Go with one that won't require a blower (high clearance to combustible requirements, meaning that it isn't surrounded by a jacket as some are) as you are placing it in or near a masonry fireplace (therefore noncombustible). No noisy blower and no power required means adequate heat even when the electricity goes out.

Just my two cents (how I would do it if I had to do it over[Quad 4100 insert owner]).

MarkG

Stevebass4 said:
Thanks

no blower on my QF 2100 but i added a muffin fan

Did I read that correctly? No blower on an insert?

What is a muffin fan? I can tell you the with no fan on my insert it doesn't have 1/10th of the effective heating for the house that it does with the fan on. Unless the "muffin fan" is comparable to what the blower that the insert was designed to have then you are cheating yourself.

Thanks for the advise guys!!

i think i'll stick with my insert then..

and yes rocky - no blower because i can not find one to fit and QF does not make them anymore

the muffin fan is on of these

fans_4_muffin.gif

that i mounted to the side

I think you could benefit with some more air power. Maybe a second fan?

i agree might get one more

I don't know guys, that fan is rated for 105 CFM. That's a decent flow rate by stove standards. Heck, my fart fan in teh bathroom only moves 80 CFM and 50CFM is a standard fart fan.

So where did you get that muffin fan and how big is it? Cost? I have been wanting to try a blower to get more convection out of my radiant stove and since I have the rear heat shield the convection chamber is already there.

bluefrier said:
Steve, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I don't see how that little soapstone tribute is gonna throw more heat than the
little steel insert. I thought about a tribute for my fireplace but you ain't gonna fit more than two medium splits in that thing.
If you want heat... upgrade from to a medium stove not another small stove. Also, soapstone is going to heat slower than
a steel or cast (giving you lower btu's over a longer period).

EDIT: If you are not getting enough heat, I don't think this is going to solve your problem.

Wrong!
I upgraded from a smallish cast-iron stove to the Tribute. I was also worried that I was going from
a small stove to another small stove. I was wrong. The Tribute has a firebox that holds a lot more
wood than I originally thought, and gives plenty of heat back to us. I would recommend it for the
user who is looking for a 24/7 soapstone heater (although the burn times are short).

Stevebass4 said:
actually that was just a photo i found on the net

here's the one i am using

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...=cooling+fan&kw=cooling+fan&parentPage=search

it was $25.00

in this pic you can see the fan on the left side of the stove

Muffin fan ratings are free air I believe. I suspect that actual performance might be less. Also, how much air comes back (due to back pressure) above and below the fan?

I'd try one more muffin fan with a block in between the two fans, and maybe above and below them. That way you have a 2-speed system. One fan or two. I'm thinking that you will see a nice increase in heat output with 2 fans running. $24 is a lot less expensive than a new stove. Seems worth a try.

I can't speak for the insert you are using, but I can speak for the Tribute. This is a very pretty little stove, but it should not be pushed!!!!!!!! (read Cracked Stone on Tribute thread) The Tribute is not designed to heat 1000 sq ft in any kind of cold weather! If you need more heat then you are getting, from a bigger firebox, I can't imagined that the Tribute will help in that regard. Do not push this stove even close to the limits that are laid out in the manual! I learned that the hard way. :sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.