Will my air exchanger cause problems?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
Hey guys

I am currently finishing my basement (where my stove is located). My house is a bungalow. The chimney goes through the foundation wall and runs along the outside of the house (I know I know, not the best setup).

The main floor of my house has air exchanger ducts in every room and they meet in the basement. I will be connecting my air exchanger to those insulated sleeves this fall. Essentially, I want good air flow in my house to prevent condensation on my windows throughout the winter.

Do you think the air exchanger will cause draft problems in my chimney? My owners manual says:

Outside combustion air may be required if:
4. The house is equipped with a well-sealed vapour barrier and tight fitting windows
and/or has any powered devices that exhaust house air.
5. There is excessive condensation on windows in the winter.
6. A ventilation system is installed in the house.

Has this happened to any of you?

Thanks for your input!

Andrew

This will be a good opportunity for lots of burners or even installers to chime-in on.
There are some pro installers who are members here and I'm sure their advice would be substantial.

Is this an air to air exchanger? What are it's specs? If it is a balanced, neutral exchange, then it will probably have little effect.

Yes, it is balanced (I believe). The specs show approximately the same CFM for exaust as for supply, which I assume means it's balanced. For example, at 25 Pa (ext static pressure), 195 Cfm supply and 194 Cfm exaust.

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.