Will this mantel/trim shield work for my Castine install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ticmxman

Nov 1, 2009
NW Georgia
Would this be an adequate shield for my top trim specs on the Jotel Castine call for 23'' I'll have 13'' so I'm looking for 10''?
The trim is 1-1/2'' thick plu another 1'', 4'' further up the fireplace.
http://www.smgeneralstore.com/fireplace-hood-telescoping.aspx

I have an old one that is over the gas logs at present it is 4.5'' deep. I will be using the shorter legs to get the stove as low as I can. The plan is to set the stove out of the masonery fireplace to where the back of the top is just outside the fireplace.

Also would I be better off from a clearance/heating up any trim concern to put the stove as far into the fireplace as possible? The stove is just for secondary heat and amdiance.

Ticmxman said:
Would this be an adequate shield for my top trim specs on the Jotel Castine call for 23'' I'll have 13'' so I'm looking for 10''?
The trim is 1-1/2'' thick plu another 1'', 4'' further up the fireplace.
http://www.smgeneralstore.com/fireplace-hood-telescoping.aspx

I have an old one that is over the gas logs at present it is 4.5'' deep. I will be using the shorter legs to get the stove as low as I can. The plan is to set the stove out of the masonery fireplace to where the back of the top is just outside the fireplace.

Also would I be better off from a clearance/heating up any trim concern to put the stove as far into the fireplace as possible? The stove is just for secondary heat and amdiance.

What that picture shows is NOT a heat shield, it's a fire place hood.
They are not used for heat protection, but are desisigned for assisting
the draft in fireplaces that have issues with smoke curling back into the room,
which tends to leave soot on the facing above the fireplace.
If you have a poorly drafting fire place with a VENTED gas log in it,
you have a potentially DANGEROUS situation, as the CO will not be evacuated
& may be spilling into the room.
Probably a good thing you're changing to a wood stove!
A mantel heat shield will angle up & away from the facing & divert the
heat away from the combustible mantel...

Thanks that's good to know. It is currently used on ventless gas logs so no worries. Looks like I'll need a new mantel shield,if I can find a stove or insert that will work with my wood trim at 39 inches.

Did you find a solution to your trim clearance issue? I have mantel trim at the same height - 39" and I will also need a shield for that like you do. I see commercially available mantel shields online but my mantel isn't the issue, the smaller profile wood trim is. I am assuming that I can make something with sheet metal that is set away from the trim with a spacer and turns out and up. Doesn't seem like it would be too hard, guess maybe I just need to find something appropriate to use for the spacers. I have seen some attractive trim shields and stuff that people have made themselves on here, hoping to do the same.

And... note to self, guess a raised hearth would not be an option without ripping out the mantel, because these clearances are pretty low even with my flush hearth! (Stove board it is! ---- why don't they make more attractive stove board I wonder?)

[quote author="tickbitty" date="1257836728"]Did you find a solution to your trim clearance issue? I have mantel trim at the same height - 39" and I will also need a shield for that like you do. I see commercially available mantel shields online but my mantel isn't the issue, the smaller profile wood trim is. I am assuming that I can make something with sheet metal that is set away from the trim with a spacer and turns out and up. Doesn't seem like it would be too hard, guess maybe I just need to find something appropriate to use for the spacers. I have seen some attractive trim shields and stuff that people have made themselves on here, hoping to do the same.
The Castine was installed Saturday. At this point the hood is still in place. I have had several fire with the last one at 400 degrees and the trim was warm but certainly not hot. There were a couple of places that were hotter than the rest, but I could comfortably place my hand on all the trim. But I will still most likely have a trim, not mantel shield fabricated just to be safe on longer burns at higher temperatures. I could use some ideas on shield size and design. I might even leave the hood nd add to it to dress up the trim shield.

Tic

Status
Not open for further replies.