Will you review my resume please?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
I may be the worst in the world at doing a resume.
I currently have a good job, and am for the most part happy, but i am hearing bigger and better things are around. So i decided i would take a look around and hope for some interesting and greener $$$ opportunities. All names have been changed to protect the innocent. This has been copied and pasted so layout is not as nice as the original, but you get the picture. Feel free to criticize or praise in any way. Too little? Too much? Missing something? Thanks a lot for any suggestions good or bad.

Joe Blow
123 anywhere
123-456-7890 email - [email protected]

Objective: Experienced oil & gas operator looking to grow my career in the industry.

Skills: 6 years experience in all aspects of gas well operation, including
production, automation, maintenance, environmental and safety.
Strong understanding of optimizing, SCADA and plunger lift systems.
Able to troubleshoot and fix most any issue on location without assistance.
Optimizing skills with proven results, growing base production, reducing
liquid loading and down time as well as leveling out problem wells with
plunger drops and creative optimizing. Thus reducing emissions and
environmental impact.
Strong mechanical ability and problem solving skills.
Proficient with Windows and Mac operating systems and programs.
The ability to work within a team environment.
Self-motivated, capable of working without supervision and committed to
successfully meeting production, cost, safety and environment goals.

Experience: Company 1
Anywhere USA
Nov. 2008 to present
Currently operate 66 natural gas wells on 45 locations.
Responsible for all day to day operations including production, optimizing,
maintenance, safety, environmental and the recording of daily volumes.
Also responsible for all liquids on location, gauging and recording of water
and oil tanks levels and having them hauled in a timely and cost effective
manner. Inventory management including the ordering of stock parts,
methanol, glycol and tracking plunger trips.
Operation and maintenance of all equipment including 3 phase and HLP
separators, methanol injection and glycol pumps, burners, combustors and
heater treaters. Basic operation startup and shutdown of compressors, generators
and dehydrators. Focus on the upkeep and testing of safety critical
equipment. Perform first deliveries and work closely with flow testers on
new wells. Work and communicate with wireline, swab rigs and any work
over and completion crews on my location. Work closely with measurement
and automation techs. Keep locations clean and up to date on all
BLM and DEQ regulations. Train new hires when needed.

Company 2
Anywhere USA
May 2006 to Nov. 2008
Contract lease operator for Co 1.
Operated 60 natural gas wells. Worked hand in hand with Co1 team to
safely and efficiently operate route. Responsible for all day to day well site
operations under Co 1 guidelines and procedures.

Artisan Signs (Owner/Partner)
Phoenix, Arizona
June 2000 to April 2006
Sales, service, design, fabrication and installation of hand carved and
sandblasted redwood signs. Metal, vinyl and engraved products.
Working with clients to design signs and advertising to fit their requirements. Working with a variety of metal and woodworking tools.
Experienced in several sign making software programs.
In charge of quoting, billing, collection and deliveries.
Supervise and train up to 5 employees.
Handle all aspects of running a small business.

Education: bla bla high School 1991
anywhere usa

Laramie County Community College
anywhere usa
Associates degree in Welding Technologies. 1994

References: Submitted upon request

Thank You for your consideration and I look forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,

I see what I consider grammatical errors. If you have this in word, under tools have the spelling and grammer checked and that should take care of that. For the type of employment you are seeking, it looks like you are an excellent candidate, and you really don't need a "fancy" resume. They are looking for an experienced operator, not an english major. Good Luck!

xx A guy I know works at the local natural gas plant said a new co. took over the plant and checked everyone's background. Guys who had any DUIs in the past 10 years were fired.

Thanks Jack, yes i am no English major. I plan on having my wife look it over. She is way smarter than me.
The company i work for right now will fire you on the spot for a DUI. I agree this is how it should be.

you did not list your zodiac sign. how are people gona hire you without knowing your sign? compatability is key. few things worse than getting 4-5 scorpios together in a room and then throw in a leo, or taurus "just to see what happens". thats how people get bitten in the face, and thats not a figure of speech.

Agreed with Jack.

Also- use bullets. They are very effective in separating ideas so that a reviewer doesn't have to wade through paragraphs. They will skip to the next bullet when they get the flavah, rather than skipping the whole paragraph.

"Thus reducing emissions and environmental impact." - not a sentence, should be set off with a comma rather than a period.

"Optimizing skills with proven results, growing base production, reducing
liquid loading and down time as well as leveling out problem wells with
plunger drops and creative optimizing."
Unless "optimizing" is an industry term rather than a general term, it is too vague and used twice in the sentence. (I aint a gas man so I dunno)

The experts say- use action verbs; avoid "responsible for".
Example: Instead of "Currently operate 66 natural gas wells on 45 locations. Responsible for all day to day operations including production, optimizing,
maintenance, safety, environmental and the recording of daily volumes.
Also responsible for all liquids on location, gauging and recording of water
and oil tanks levels and having them hauled in a timely and cost effective
manner."

Try "Managed all day to day operations for 66 natural gas wells on 45 locations. Directed all production, optimization, maintenance..."

Use past tense for past duties "Working with clients" should be something like "Worked directly with clients..."

Try putting in accomplishments near the beginning of a job description. "Managed all day to day operations for 66 natural gas wells on 45 locations. Implemented optimization methods that led to reclaim of XXX product..." "Developed a novel scheduling method that reduced employee absence rate by 30%..." "Lead integration effort during acquisition of 15 new sites that added 40% to production capacity"... Anything that you can add like that shows that you weren't just occupying a chair.

Reactions: bfunk13
Now cover letters- Here's something I've told a mess of people. The MOST EFFECTIVE cover letter I ever saw came from someone that addressed every need we set out in the job ad.

They gave a quick intro paragraph and then, in a bulletized list, listed each requirement and how their skills, experience, education met that need. It was a thing of beauty. I interviewed and hired the dude, and that cover letter was what truly set them apart as both qualified and organized.

Now cover letters- Here's something I've told a mess of people. The MOST EFFECTIVE cover letter I ever saw came from someone that addressed every need we set out in the job ad.

They gave a quick intro paragraph and then, in a bulletized list, listed each requirement and how their skills, experience, education met that need. It was a thing of beauty. I interviewed and hired the dude, and that cover letter was what truly set them apart as both qualified and organized.

so zodiac sign did NOT play a role in your hiring process? color my mystified.

so zodiac sign did NOT play a role in your hiring process? color my mystified.

No, but when the guy shows up for an interview we'd look out and see what kind of car he drives. If it was a stupid color, we'd shut off the lights and pretend we weren't there. All 100+ of us.

Thanks Adios, and others, exactly what i was looking for.

Hope it helps. I've reviewed a lot of resumes in the past and admit that I would look at and dismiss resumes without even reading them just based on layout when I had a stack to review.

A crappy layout, with big paragraphs and a ton of words tells me that the candidate is a poor communicator/writer (and in the research field- those are important skills).

Clear, concise, direct, minimize irrelevant experience- all important. Yours is about the right length. Unless you have advanced degrees and publications- it should always fit on one page.

I actually like the line at the end that some put in with personal interests: they can be an ice breaker for an interview. Avoid hot-button interests.

Good
"Personal Interests: camping, yard work, competition BBQ."

Bad
"Personal Interests: Devil worship, attacking choice doctors, Yankees baseball"

<--- removes "mind control" from list of personal interests on resume. good tip AP. you da man.

You already got great advice. I'd add another recommendation to keep it short and sweet, focus on whats relevant and leave out details that are not. Being in the shoes of a hiring manager (hiring engineers) a few times there were two big red flags I would look for on the first pass before I narrowed the list down to a few candidates to evaluate in detail:

#1 kids a couple years out of school with 2 , 3, or 4 page resumes. Unless you are in academia or have 20+ years experience you don't usually need more than a page or so.

#2 People who jump jobs too much or have big gaps in employment history without explanation.

It looks like you are on the right track. Good luck in the hunt!

No, but when the guy shows up for an interview we'd look out and see what kind of car he drives. If it was a stupid color, we'd shut off the lights and pretend we weren't there. All 100+ of us.

So that is the reason, I can not get hired anywhere
I drive a Panther Pink Challenger...............

So that is the reason, I can not get hired anywhere
I drive a Panther Pink Challenger...............

Or maybes you are driving the Hearse around too much...;lol

I assume references are available on request - it's a needless line. If I want your references, I'll ask you - and I'll not be calling them unless I'm serious, and you'll want to know that, right? :)

Resumes get about 15 seconds worth of attention, if they're good. So they have to be PERFECT in terms of grammar and spelling (sorry). Run the spelling/grammar check, have your wife look it over, and then someone else as well - extra eyes never hurt. I once got a resume for a project manager that listed "attention to detail" as one of her skills - and detail was spelled wrong, and there were several missing punctuation marks in her resume - she didn't get an interview, because some of the resumes had equal experience and WERE perfect. The littlest thing can get you tossed into the reject pile.

Also do as much bulleting and chunking of text as you can, so it scans easily. Making each section stand out with bold text makes it easy to pick them out as well. Word has a bunch of resume templates that you can work off of - just don't go crazy with fonts etc...try to stick to a really simple stylesheet unless you're a graphic designer.

Agree with the PP that cover letters, AND thank you notes, are key. They let you tailor your qualifications to the particular job, and in the case of the thank you note, you get to further your case based on what you heard in the interview. You're awesome, go get 'em. :)

We've had some doozies come through with resumes and even interviews.

One guy showed up wearing jeans and work boots.

One guy did pretty well . . . until we discovered he had been let go from his last place of employment for theft.

They pay pretty good in this industry ,One of my relatives makes $100,000+ a year in Northers PA for several years now,not bad for a high school grad. He's a pipe fitter.

We've had some doozies come through with resumes and even interviews.

One guy showed up wearing jeans and work boots.

One guy did pretty well . . . until we discovered he had been let go from his last place of employment for theft.

Nice. I had a guy that was so full of himself that I couldn't believe it. His cell rang during the interview- if he said "so sorry- I forgot the ringer"- it would have been fine. Instead- he actualy ANSWERED HIS PHONE during an interview.

Like I said- most lose a job due to personal, not skill reasons. Not only didn't I hire him, but I called the agency that referred him and complained.

phone call might have been important...coulda been his bookie, or psychic network. Last few interviews I went on I introduce myself with the "bro hug"...doesn't seem to be paying off. I'm gonna switch to funky "jive handshake"...let's see how that goes over.

Status
Not open for further replies.