Willow harvest

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
I live down the road from some of SUNY ESFs experimental willow fields. It looked like they were out with the combine yesterday morning harvesting. It will be interesting to see if they can make some of the no longer used fields around here productive and viable.

Attachments

• willow harvest.jpg
    willow harvest.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 353
So what would they use this willow for? Maybe transplant for windbreaks?

I believe they harvest it with the combine and truck it to the pellet plant.

SolarAndWood said:
I believe they harvest it with the combine and truck it to the pellet plant.

Seems that would make some hight bark:wood ratio pellets if they did given how thing those sticks look in the picture. Interesting.

Willow may be OK for biomass fuel but low grade for pellets.

When I worked at Church and Dwight they were talking about oil and then bio-mas. They were talking about growing them on the old Alkali beds to somehow clean them up?That was a long time ago, I could be wrong.

^I've been on the beds before ...poplar trees grow on them OK. I'm also thinking willow would make a better bio-mass than a pellet. Pretty sure our FFA cuts the willows 3 times before harvesting to insure a more 'bushy' product.

Status
Not open for further replies.