winch for atv

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Considering the purchase of a new atv (probably Yamaha 550 or 700). If so, this time I'll probably get a winch which would be used mainly for lifting the snow plow but may as well get one big enough to help in the woods. I'm open to suggestions.

8000 lbs is enough as long as you give it time to cool off.

Attachments

• wench2a.jpg
    wench2a.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 338
I have recently purchased a Polaris 500 Sportsman H.O. and love it. Give Polaris a look. I am also in the processing of acquiring a Winch for it. I am looking at a Warn 2500#. A well timed question.

Yes, we have looked a bit at Polaris. A neighbor bought one last fall; Sportsman 500 I believe it was. Got a great buy on it too.

RoyalDistributing.com has a Quadrex 3600# for 1/2 the price of a Warn. There is little warranty info on the website for the Quadrex though. 1.4 hp motor and 40' of rope(Quadrex) vs. 0.9 hp motor and 50' of rope (Warn). Warn does have replacement core parts kits available though for their winches.
I'll probably go with the Quadrex--these days $$ talks loud.

I have a warn good for 3000#. Keep an eye open for promos all the different dealers run, the add a warn winch for only $100. This is how i did mine.

A happy polaris sportsman 700 owner here, had the thing for 4 years now. Mainly used for yard work and snow plowing now a days. No time to ride =(

Which reminds me i need a new battery..

Backwoods Savage said:
Considering the purchase of a new atv (probably Yamaha 550 or 700). If so, this time I'll probably get a winch which would be used mainly for lifting the snow plow but may as well get one big enough to help in the woods. I'm open to suggestions.

Sav the winch on the rhino is a 3000 pound warn winch, the winch is setup so you can use it on the front or back, this was the standard winch that came on the rhino.

zap

Warn is the industry standard in winches, but they are pricey. Check out Mile Marker: they are used by the US Military. An ATV with a winch and off raod trailer is a formidable firewood gathering/transport weapon.

I would say Warn I have warn A2000 winch on my 02 Honda foreman that did plow duty for 6 years before I went with a down pressure system but the winch still work's just as good as when it was new.

good luck.

www.highlifter.com all about ATV's and such

if there's a weakness with anything ATV related its been hased and laid bare on that site.

As mentioned Warn is the big one out there . . .

Personally I'm not a big fan of ATV winches . . . most folks I know have never had them last an especially long time. As for plowing I just use a manual lift with a spring-assist.

In other news . . . sounds like you're upgrading Dennis . . . very nice. Looking at the Grizzlys are you? If I didn't ride a Honda this would most likely be what I would be riding.

Our present snow plow is also the Spanish type; manual. However, the shoulders are giving out a bit so maybe time to stop that stuff. Danged body is wearing out. :shut:

I also use an ATV in the woods too. My main machine for the woods is an '86 Kawasaki Bayou 300. I don't worry too much about scratching it....
It works just fine with my trailer too!

Anyhow, I had to replace my old Superwinch on the Bayou, and found a decent deal online... Check out Runva.com , they have a Warn copy that has worked well for me this year.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.