Wind Turbine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
This was coming down the road at me so I decided to pull in and take a picture then grab some gas, I think this is part of the base for a wind turbine.

zap

Attachments

• 100_2124.jpg
    100_2124.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 610
  • 100_2125.jpg
    100_2125.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 606
  • 100_2126.jpg
    100_2126.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 624
I was quite amazed at the size of these units. The housing section behind the blades is a like a small garage, that guys climb into to do maintenance. It's an up and coming career field, if you want to go from one wind turbine to another, doing maintenance.

-Soupy1957

There are over 30 of these units around Mt Storm, WV. Amazing structures. Several just south of Deep Creek, MD, that you can get pretty close to. About 1o years ago I was shocked while driving on I-70 to see double trailers hauling the blades. The size blew me away.

The container that houses the gearbox and generator is called the nachelle, been working on wind turbines since 1998, and yes there are good paying jobs in the wind industry but it is not for every one and it is a young mans game which I am not.

EatenByLimestone said:
They got one of them past the APA?!? They b*tch and moan about cell phone towers!

Matt
They have had problems in some areas but for the most part the states want them for the extra income and energy.

EatenByLimestone said:
They got one of them past the APA?!? They b*tch and moan about cell phone towers!

Matt

Matt that was heading towards Ogdensburg New York, they use to load them on ships there.

zap

Just keep'em lubed.

Attachments

• wind3.jpg
    wind3.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 533
Zap, on my travels last summer I saw several trucks along I-80 out west hauling those and the big blades too. It makes for an interesting load for sure.

Panhandler said:
There are over 30 of these units around Mt Storm, WV. Amazing structures. Several just south of Deep Creek, MD, that you can get pretty close to. About 1o years ago I was shocked while driving on I-70 to see double trailers hauling the blades. The size blew me away.

Panhandler we were fishing walleye on the St.Lawrence two years ago and a ship loaded with these want by (have pictures someplace) what a site that was.

zap

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, on my travels last summer I saw several trucks along I-80 out west hauling those and the big blades too. It makes for an interesting load for sure.

I give credit to the drivers, they come through this small village and have to make a right at the light which is tuff because of the parking on both sides of the street.

zap

In my experience, the controversy between "pro-wind" and "anti-wind" groups is tearing some small communities apart.

Retired Guy said:
In my experience, the controversy between "pro-wind" and "anti-wind" groups is tearing some small communities apart.

Up this way also.

zap

Bunch up at the Eastern N.Y. State/western Mass Border near Jiminy Peak Ski Area between Williamstown and Pittsfield. Started with one, and i think about 7 added along the ridgetop by now and calls for more i think.

Bart, thats a neat shot.....never thought about them catching fire or falling but it looks like that one is going to be in pretty rough shape.

cass

zapny said:
Panhandler said:

Panhandler we were fishing walleye on the St.Lawrence two years ago and a ship loaded with these want by (have pictures someplace) what a site that was.

zap

This was about 10 or more years ago and for about 5 seconds I had no idea what I was looking at.

tcassavaugh said:
Bunch up at the Eastern N.Y. State/western Mass Border near Jiminy Peak Ski Area between Williamstown and Pittsfield. Started with one, and i think about 7 added along the ridgetop by now and calls for more i think.

Bart, thats a neat shot.....never thought about them catching fire or falling but it looks like that one is going to be in pretty rough shape.

cass
As with any other mechanical device crap happens, some times with people in them, not good!

zapny said:
Panhandler said:

zap

This was about 10 or more years ago and for about 5 seconds I had no idea what I was looking at.

APA - LOL.

Buy more land. Even though we have no money. Oh, and we already have so much land that never gets a foot set on it. And the wood just sits there rotting. But the animals have sanctuary. And the metro area hikers have forever wild.

Maybe after the State lays off half the DEC and starts bouncing checks, they'll wake up and start putting up towers. Prolly not though.

I worked with a company that put up quite a few in Grand Ridge, Illinois. About 3/4 through our project another one started up just a few miles SW of us. I was pretty neat to climb our towers and see the daily progress of the other project. I left that company but they ended up going out to Washington state and putting up more out there. We actually had to make improvements to the county roads and install a larger radius on some of the turns to get those big trucks through.

They were installed in corn fields and things got sloppy in the spring mud. The only way to do it was to hook up a D9 dozer, put the trucks in neutral and pull away.

zapny said:
Panhandler said:

zap

pretty sure they were on their way here zap...

http://www.transalta.com/facilities/plants-operation/wolfe-island

they also transported large equipment on 401 hwy..

this is a picture i took from last year of geese and ducks that hang out around the plant, but you can see the windmills in the back..

DSCN1083.jpg

Terry

Retired Guy said:

yeah, everyone wants them until the shadow flash is going to dance on their bedroom window, then they are unwanted. I've seen some of those huge ones ( and not so huge ones) installed very very close to houses. I'm not so sure I could get used to it. Got one of those controversies going on in town now where thew town wants to put two really huge ones in on town property.
Town won't downsize the systems and keep changes rules and laws to make it happen, upsetting even more town folk.
Maybe I should feel fortunate the beeper to tell the planes they are on track and it's time to pop out the landing gear is just down the street. :)

Saw some of the blades being hauled on the highway this summer... for a couple or few days I'd see em heading southbound on I71. Those blades are long... they have wheels attached on each end and no trailer structure connecting them, just the strangely curved blade itself. Definitely an unusual site!

I got to see some up close in person as they were building in the Tug Hill region in northern NY. Actually got some good pics, don’t think we were suppose to be that close but there were no signs up yet saying not to lol. The door on the tower was locked btw.

Working for the power company there is great debate about wind. Believe it or not it cost us a fortune and causes lots of other system issues. Only good thing is it suppose to be 'green' which everyone wants now-a-days, but even that is in debate.

Pics of turbines in Mars Hill in The County . . . taken this past summer while on a geocaching, camping and ATV extravaganza.

Attachments

• hearth1.jpg
    hearth1.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 173
  • hearth3.jpg
    hearth3.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 144
Status
Not open for further replies.