Window Air Wash Not Working

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edwinjk

Dec 3, 2009
Southern Ohio
My new Enviro Maxx-M is starting to streak after an hour & 8 hrs, it really gets solid. It come from both corners & makes almost like a W on the window. checked the air pump & it is working
fine. I have a magnehelic set up hooked on the front of the stove & .15 W.C. reading. I have noticed that the burn pot bracket has a plate over two slots & wondering if that plate should be removed? Anyone having the same problem?

Sorry I can't help you edwinjk but like yours, mine won't stay clean either. A film starts soon after cleaning and by the end of the day it looks nasty.--It's really disappointing
because it's visible, in a room used quite often.
I don't understand a thing about the window air wash nor has my vent been checked for proper draft.

Jerry

jmart said:
Sorry I can't help you edwinjk but like yours, mine won't stay clean either. A film starts soon after cleaning and by the end of the day it looks nasty.--It's really disappointing
because it's visible, in a room used quite often.
I don't understand a thing about the window air wash nor has my vent been checked for proper draft.

Jerry

Jerry,

Your window gets cloudy that quick? I know the P series are different than your fancy XXV but mine has only slightly clouded up on the extreme left and right sides and very slightly on the top. Ive burned for roughly 50 hours total so far. I believe my window wash works in the following way (correct me if I am wrong anyone!).....

Combustion air comes into the stove (In my case through my Selkirk DT vent piping)
The combustion air splits:
some goes into the burnpot and through the burnpot holes
and some goes through a tube that runs from the front to back of the inside of the stove just to the left of the burpot.
The air that goes through that tube gets distributed through a slot that runs along the bottom edge of the window.

edwinjk said:
My new Enviro Maxx-M is starting to streak after an hour & 8 hrs, it really gets solid. It come from both corners & makes almost like a W on the window. checked the air pump & it is working
fine. I have a magnehelic set up hooked on the front of the stove & .15 W.C. reading. I have noticed that the burn pot bracket has a plate over two slots & wondering if that plate should be removed? Anyone having the same problem?

I have the Omega(Maxx M's little sister) and has a similar air wash. Mine goes all week with just the top 1/3 getting dirty and down the sides about 1/2 way. This also depends on the fuel I use. Some are dirty in just a couple of days or so. But it always gives a good view of the firepot.

Could you take a few picture's of the glass and the strip you are talking about? I don't think mine has it, But I want to be sure.

My old Whitfield insert had the same problem.

I've got a firend who is complaining about the same issue and I believe he has the same stove you have. I will/f/u with him and see if he's found any solutions.

I took out my burn pot assembly & hooked a separate power source to the air pump. The air pump blows air around the ignitor for faster ignition & has nothing to do with the air wash of the
window. Jay you are right, it's the pellets. Iam burning American Wood Fiber. I traded two bags
with a buddy of Easy Heat. I am burning them right now & Iam getting less on the window. The air pump stops when the pellet lite stops blinking & turn control back to the operator. I also have two bags of Sommerset that I will try out & let you know. Hope this helps.

Jay:
I will take picture of the slots I was talking about as soon as get my camera working.
The burn pot bracket Behind the bracket is a flat piece of metal that covers two openings (rectuanglar) about 1" x about 4" in long. On second thought, I think that it gives support
to the burn pot bracket

edwinjk said:
Jay you are right, it's the pellets. Iam burning American Wood Fiber. I traded two bags with a buddy of Easy Heat. I am burning them right now & Iam getting less on the window. The air pump stops when the pellet lite stops blinking & turn control back to the operator. I also have two bags of Sommerset that I will try out & let you know. Hope this helps.

Yes, the pellets will effect this as well as more low burn in these shoulder months. If you have access to those Sommersets at a good price, grab em; you will like those very much. Of course wait until you burn the 2 bags you have to verify.

On my new Accentra the window develops a series of "dots" marching from left to right along the bottom of the window (as you are looking at it) of increasing size and density. Then, along the right side of the glass there is a fairly uniform streak of smudge from bototm to top. I have taken advantage of these warmetr days to clean the glass when the stove cools naturally, but I can see that in the dead of winter it may be cloudy for longer periods of time.

Improper air flow through the pellet pile will also cause build up (not enough air) as will a plugged air wash.

You can fight it all you want, you may be successful in keeping it at bay for a time, but just the stove burning will eventually cause the haze and then darker crud to coat the glass.

These things self modify their air/fuel mixture courtesy of the impurities in the pellets and the very nature of burning wood.

my enviro m55cast fs glass gets dirty from bottom right to the center top. the rest stays real clean. If they could keep all the glass clean it would be a perfect stove.
Doesnt bother me to much. Its better than my previous stove.

My oath! . . . I will not obsess about silly details of my pellet burning experience. I will remember how much I spent on oil and rejoice in my pellet stove. Amen.

That does not mean I will not make every effort to maximize my enjoyment of the experience!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.