Window mount pellet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blaster668

Jul 19, 2010
Northwest PA
Does anyone have experience with a window mount pellet stove? This is the first one I've ever heard of, it is made by US Stove and sold on Northern Tool's site. This could potentially be good for someone who cannot modify their home, apartment, etc. It looks pretty much like a window air conditioner, I swear there was a picture on the website earlier, but now it says image not available.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...m_pla=Google&cm_ite=window mount pellet stove

BLIMP said:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_heaters-stoves-fireplaces+corn-pellet-multi-fuel bottom of page on right side 24k btu window mount

Man does that sound like a Redneck piece of equipment!!! :) Better have some good insulation around the heater just in case the window frame gets hot.

It might work but what does everyone think about this idea/design? Not sure what insurance companies would think about it.

AR

i think it sounds a lil bit crazy. it will be quite amusing to see one fall out the window. its a tough call, its probably a really useful idea, with lots of applications for smallish places, but a can imagine a dozen scenarios where theres gonna be something crazy happening. I'll wait for the youtube of someone loading the hopper and it falls out the window and they just continue to pour the pellets out the window and all over the floor.

Delta-T said:
i think it sounds a lil bit crazy. it will be quite amusing to see one fall out the window. its a tough call, its probably a really useful idea, with lots of applications for smallish places, but a can imagine a dozen scenarios where theres gonna be something crazy happening. I'll wait for the youtube of someone loading the hopper and it falls out the window and they just continue to pour the pellets out the window and all over the floor.
naw, gotta be UL tested & approved

I can imagine that being a popular item if it is well made, well designed and not a hassle to use.

I might even consider this at my house. My CB1200 is on the first floor but the upstairs gets quite chilly especially in my wife's "office" area.

Man would she love this thing !

BLIMP said:
Delta-T said:

AH yes, UL testing has always prevented crazy things from happening in the pellet universe. I'd say they users, not the units themselves will be the "X" factor in the crazy happenings.

Interesting concept. But 170 pounds hanging in my window isn't my idea of something I want to try. And we won't even go into having it burning when a downpour comes along.

BLIMP said:
Delta-T said:

Yes they are UL approved and can be used in an RV, Mobile Home or a small apartment. Retail is $1,799.00 at our Stoveshop. They put out good heat and no chimney is required. I think there will be quite a few folks that will find applications for them.

pelletdude said:
BLIMP said:
Delta-T said:

Yes they are UL approved and can be used in an RV, Mobile Home or a small apartment. Retail is $1,799.00 at our Stoveshop. They put out good heat and no chimney is required. I think there will be quite a few folks that will find applications for them.
why are they not available in WA. & Ca.?

Hey Pelletdude,

What is the installation like on these ? Are there brackets to secure the unit to the wall ?

Would it be reasonable to plan on swapping in and out with an AC unit every year ?

That sounds pretty crazy to me. I think they could just as easily make a vent kit that went out the window. As far as code, I think it would be a nightmare. I can't see how it would be efficient, and cutting drafts around the stove would be an issue. I am not sure all window frames are equal. If the window framing is made right, this are should be strong. however, I don't want a burning appliance built into my wall, which is what you would have with this. I would love to see a picture. Of course, it could be the most revolutionary thing around.....

Mark :)

mark d fellows said:
That sounds pretty crazy to me. I think they could just as easily make a vent kit that went out the window. As far as code, I think it would be a nightmare. I can't see how it would be efficient, and cutting drafts around the stove would be an issue. I am not sure all window frames are equal. If the window framing is made right, this are should be strong. however, I don't want a burning appliance built into my wall, which is what you would have with this. I would love to see a picture. Of course, it could be the most revolutionary thing around.....

its called legit engineering blessed by UL testing. pic is available by my prior post

Go to Shipping shows a picture

BLIMP said:
mark d fellows said:

its called legit engineering blessed by UL testing. pic is available by my prior post

Nope. Just "Image not available".

BrotherBart said:
BLIMP said:
mark d fellows said:

Nope. Just "Image not available".[/quot

BrotherBart said:
BLIMP said:
mark d fellows said:

Nope. Just "Image not available".
read 2nd post on this thread

pelletdude said:
BLIMP said:
Delta-T said:

$1234.99 at Northern Tool. 30% rebate from Uncle? Hmmmmmmm...............USSC website doesn't mention them. Hmmmmmmm....... How can I get a look at a manual with clearance requirements, etc.?

Great for a garage, if these flop possibly see them going for under $500 in the spring....tempting!!
Looked at the 2 pics of the stove, how do you fill it?, from the outside?, hold 40lbs of pellets

BLIMP said:
pelletdude said:
BLIMP said:
Delta-T said:

why are they not available in WA. & Ca.?

Don't meet air Nazi air quality regulations...

That is pretty crazy interesting, and dare I say cool!

usscwindowpelletstove.jpg

I think its pretty neat... imagine what everyone said when the first microwave rolled out...

I think its gotta drop down in a price a bit though.

Status
Not open for further replies.