Windy Yesterday, Free Wood Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mass. Wine Guy

Feeling the Heat
Nov 23, 2007
Northeastern Massachusetts
What great luck. A big tree in my neighbor's yard had a huge limb split off yesterday. That and the remaining trunk it left behind is being cut off by a tree service and I can have the wood. I'm trading this for the cost of a minor fence repair where the limb crashed into my fence. Not sure what type it is. Definitely oak or maple.

That sounds like a winner for both parties.

Mass. Wine Guy said:
What great luck. A big tree in my neighbor's yard had a huge limb split off yesterday. That and the remaining trunk it left behind is being cut off by a tree service and I can have the wood. I'm trading this for the cost of a minor fence repair where the limb crashed into my fence. Not sure what type it is. Definitely oak or maple.

It was windy as hell yesterday, I had a black birch fall over right onto my wood pile, not a huge one maybe 6" round, maybe 20 feet long, but it couldnt have fallen in a better spot.

Lucky day for me, too. My 039 would only run for about 5 min. and then quit, and couldn't restart it until it cooled off. I thought it wasn't getting gas, after I choked it, pulled the plug, and didn't smell gas. So I went out today to check spark and fuel for sure. One of the nightmare scenarios that was running through my mind was " air leak, tear down the saw to replace crankshaft seal." So I pulled the plug and hooked it up to look at spark. It was wandering all over the side electrode. I put in a new plug and the spark went straight down, hitting the same spot on the electrode every time. Hmmm, says I. Took the saw out in the woods and started cutting. After 20 min. of strong running, I proclaimed it fixed. Sweeeet!
Put on your goggles, boys, there's gonna be a white-out, a veritable blizzard of wood chips flyin'!!
There's an older couple that live down the road from me. They're giving me a hung-up Pignut, a Maple and a Pin Oak that blew down in a recent storm, and some other dead stuff which I haven't looked at too closely yet. They called this morning and said "We've got a problem at the other house...hung up a pine tree. I went over there and got that one down. Then she started looking around the grove of pines. "Look, that one's on its way out, too...and that one, and that one" etc. I took down eight trees, total. :lol: Then I noticed a couple of dead trees on their property line. "What about those Ash?" I ask. "You want 'em?" she replies. I say "Yes...yes, I do." Ahhh, more dry-wood cushion for the in-laws I'm supplying. Then she says "Look, that Maple next door came down in the wind the other night, and they guy who cut it ($1000 crane job) didn't take the wood." I went over to look. Hard Maple. The core of the trunk is rotted, but the live limbs look good. The woman came out and told me "Take what you want." Niiice!
Then on my way home I stopped by my SIL's to get down an Ash that I hung up last Fall. I got it without being killed, only got stuck by three different varieties of sticker bushes, and poison ivy brushed my bare arms just a handful of times.
All in all, I'd say it was a darned good day! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.