Winter 2011-12 Forecast

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamInVa

Minister of Fire
Jun 14, 2011
Eastern, Virginia
temperature-forecast.png

winter-2011-2012-outlook2.png

123.jpg

124.jpg

from what I gather..looks like we're gonna have a blue and purple winter...I do like purple.

Looks like mild and wet for the West Coast. Last Winter was the winter from hell and now I have tons of wood from the cleanup so I'm ready for anything. I've heard El Nino may be back, which usually means mild but sometimes very wet conditions up here in Northern California. I'm ready. Bring it on!!!

j-takeman said:
To early for this gloom and doom! But my stash is over full and I am ready when it does come our way.

Yea, it's probably a little premature but interesting. I'm sort of a weather nut. I have read some articles that indicated a cooling in the global temp over the next 15-20 years. But who really knows, it's all theory anyway! As my grandfather would say, its cold in the winter, warm in the summer, and dark at night. :)

According to that down by my mailbox will be much colder than average and up at the house is going to be colder than average. :-S

imacman said:
j-takeman said:
But my stash is over full and I am ready when it does come our way.

And just how big IS that stash so far??? :)

About a ton more than I need(4.5 tons). I just might give(trade for some pellets?) my neighbor the cord of wood I have down there. I would like to have about a season and a 1/2 worth of fuel to sit on. :)

Never Too many Pellets! I have some from the prior season because I found some others I liked better. Just have to deal with it and burn them up. I tried the mixing idea, but found that half an half still gave me about the same amount of ash.
Had my furnace cleaned today. The tech told me the burn chamber was nothing to clean. The parts that fed the oil was gunky. We use the furnace very little. The oil fired hot water heater was another matter. very dirty and caused a little fire in the metal pipes. That was yesterday. Today the chimney is brushed out and both units cleaned. Just waiting for the bill!

With all that doom and gloom maybe I should kick the wife's car out and double down.

It's time to start filling the food larder.

BRING IT !!

I would rather 10 above and snow than 90 with a dew point of 68 :(
This weather stinks plain and simple.
Sweating like a... well, you know...ooooink.

7 ton ready to go, just itchin' to plug that baby in.

My grandfather, a farmer, used to tell me to watch the little critters and the
plants and flowers. He said that would tell you what kind of winter you will
have. For the last several years, the rose of sharon bushes have started
popping blossoms in early Sept.

Last year it was mid August. Pretty snowy winter last year for us. This year
they blossomed on July 24. ?? Draw the conclusion you will, but I'm looking
forward to a snowy winter.

Enjoy all, whats left of the summer, those who actually like it! :)

My rose of sharon bushes just started blooming. Lucky for me, my grandfather didn't have any of those! He did, however, have much to say about other plants and bugs. He was a lumberman who worked along side his dad in the woods of Nova Scotia. I can't recall anything he told me as not being generally true.
I'm not seeing Acorns like last year. Not sure if that is an indication of anything.

Attachments

• 590x393_10041805_2011-12 winter highlights us.jpg
    590x393_10041805_2011-12 winter highlights us.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 390
I'm working just as fast as the fermenter can go on getting the winters preserved grains in bottles ;-).

:) :)

SmokeyTheBear said:
I'm working just as fast as the fermenter can go on getting the winters preserved grains in bottles ;-).

:) :) Knew I forgot something in last post! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.