Winter is right around the corner!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bwhunter85

Feeling the Heat
Aug 21, 2010
Sunfield, MI
Had some cooler temps this morning in Michigan. Took advantage of it and cut a trailer load. Shed is full, so stacking behind it for now.
7d89323adfd1afc685d3102bc4781c49.jpg accab8a12f60b9ccac01cf2e0806de2d.jpg e406679d1068f2f65e09b470a9b635b2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It was cooler in NC, but we have hit a small heat wave. I am doing pretty much the same thing.
Nice stash you have there.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Someone should wash out mouth out with soap (Winter around the corner)
Got at least 60-70 days before needing heat (I hope) Winter here is long enough
Don't want to hear or talk about it:rolleyes:

In southern Wisconsin we've had lows in the mid 50s regularly. Need a blanket to keep warm at night! Some days the highs are only mid-70s. Up north lows are low-50s already!

I'll be cutting and splitting my 4th year stuff this weekend, suppose to be in the upper 70's Saturday & Sunday, will be nice to cut up my pile of logs and start getting stuff somewhat organized or neatened up.

Reactions: Bwhunter85
I'm waiting for my saw to come back from being ported, but I've got my eye on several dead standing trees that need to come down.

Reactions: Bwhunter85
Stop. This thread is depressing.

So. Not. Ready.

Talk about the joy of working on year 4 wood (I am) or the phenomenally small amount of material taken from your chimney when you (finally) cleaned it. (I haven’t cleaned mine yet.)

Please though, for the sake of those of us who’ve been frost free for maybe 80 days... DON’T USE THE W WORD!

This mornings low was 61. Havent seen temps that low in like 50 days. This past week the lowest temp at my house was 73. Part of this years wood was split back in feb/mar of 17.. thats half of the wood im burning(2 cords) The other half(2 cords) was split this march so its 5 months old. Im going to burn the 2017 stuff first to make room in the shed, the last 2 cords are sitting on racks. That will be burning this january..
I have 4 cords in log lenth waiting to be cut up.. ill start that in November / December

Had a couple mornings in the high 40's and yesterday felt like a perfect autumn day. Warming up again today and the humidity is coming back but going out anyway to buck some smaller trees that have been sitting in a stack for a month. After over 215 days with snow on the ground last winter, I'm not necessarily wanting the flakes to fall however I'm definitely looking forward to summer being over.

Yesterday morning had 55. Coolest in about 3 months. Temps are on they're way down. Humidity back now though for a while and in the 80's.

Yesterday morning had 55. Coolest in about 3 months. Temps are on they're way down. Humidity back now though for a while and in the 80's.

Your not far from me... its been tough around here with the humidity and high temps.. i have 90s coming my way the beginning of the week then drop to the mid 80s.. sooooo looking forward to some cooler temps.. im with you.. yesterday a.m. Felt good

it's just about yo-yo time in WI.

Had a heat index of about 100 degrees today. Late afternoon thunderboomer dumped a ton of rain and took the humidity to 96%...currently 92%.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jan Pijpelink
temps start at 50 or so early morning then can hit 80 or above by noon , don't drop off until sun drops - repeat keeps sliding down the temp scale for the next couple months, mid to late Oct. snow flakes, Nov measurable snow. Been caught more than once out in the field with temps that start around 40 or so rise to 60 then dump to zero by late afternoon. around 1978 I got clipped that way almost didn't make it home, nice sunny morning out hunting with pups around 55 at 10 am , about 3 miles from car. by noon temps dropping fast , started raining wind up , temps dropping faster by 2pm full blown winter storm temps down to zero still had about a mile to get back to car, young pup -had to carry him totally played out , the other 1.5 year old lagging my jacket and everything else on me was freezing up, had the rur inside my jacket, snow piling up making it hard to cover ground fast got to car about 3, it did start after chipping my way into it, 30 miles to get home could not hardly see streets, car never got to the point of blowing warm air. I was on the verg of hypothermia when we pulled in the drive. I do not remember how cold it got that night with the wind chill but it was nasty. That pup turned in to one of best hunters I've ever had.

Reactions: Highbeam
What does this mean??!

I’m going to guess the temps going up and down like a “yo-yo”.

We had a nice stretch of windows-open weather in central Ohio last week. Mid 50s in the morning, low 80s in the afternoon. Back to 90 today. A/C back on.

It's been super hot here with temps around 95 for the last couple of weeks or so. When the humidity is 80 or above it is just too hot to think about doing anything in the wood pile. But I do have wood good for three years, mostly red and white oak. The stove has had it's flue scrubbed out and the liner inspected. I have all new fire bricks and a new rope door gasket. So bring on the cold weather. It well be a pleasent change from the heat we have now. I do enjoy keeping the stove going. We have propane central heat but have not had it on in ten years.

Been caught more than once out in the field with temps that start around 40 or so rise to 60 then dump to zero by late afternoon. around 1978 I got clipped that way almost didn't make it home, nice sunny morning out hunting with pups around 55 at 10 am , about 3 miles from car. by noon temps dropping fast , started raining wind up , temps dropping faster by 2pm full blown winter storm temps down to zero still had about a mile to get back to car, young pup -had to carry him totally played out , the other 1.5 year old lagging my jacket and everything else on me was freezing up, had the rur inside my jacket, snow piling up making it hard to cover ground fast got to car about 3, it did start after chipping my way into it, 30 miles to get home could not hardly see streets, car never got to the point of blowing warm air. I was on the verg of hypothermia when we pulled in the drive. I do not remember how cold it got that night with the wind chill but it was nasty. That pup turned in to one of best hunters I've ever had.
Sounds similar to the armistice day blizzard:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1940_Armistice_Day_Blizzard
Lot of guys didn't make it.