winter power sleding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the boy's wanted to go sledding so I hooked em up and we made 10 or so trips around the house.

5347334002_large.jpg

That beats pulling a sled up a hill any day. Bet they loved it.

yea and he only fell out of the sled 1 time.

I due like the rear blade as my house is on a hill and in 2 spots the sled will catch me and the blade hold them back from the ATV, The boy's road double today and we did another 10 laps around the house.

Heck I was in 1st gear and 4mph most of the time I don't wanna dump them out on the corners.

thanks

sublime out.

That reminds me when we used to pull each other behind the snow machine. We had one pair of downhill skis and it was a blast....so long as you had a good driver. Then we'd also pull a saucer behind the machine and that could get really wild. But that was many moons ago. Now we just watch others.

I can't say as though I've ever seen a snow plow mounted on the back of an ATV . . . very interesting. How do you plow snow with it?

firefighterjake said:
I can't say as though I've ever seen a snow plow mounted on the back of an ATV . . . very interesting. How do you plow snow with it?

They work very well actually.

Mine just goes into the hitch receiver, and has a lever to raise and lower the blade.

I can drag it behind me, or simply slide the blade off and put it on the other way to plow with it by using reverse to plow.
After having had both front and rear mounted blades, i prefer the rear mount.
You can also buy them, or make your own for pickups.
That how about 99% of farm tractors have their blades mounted.
My quad with rear mounted blade will out plow my bobcat skidsteer for clearing snow.

Mcbride said:
firefighterjake said:

Mine just goes into the hitch receiver, and has a lever to raise and lower the blade.

I can drag it behind me, or simply slide the blade off and put it on the other way to plow with it by using reverse to plow.
My quad with rear mounted blade will out plow my bobcat skidsteer for clearing snow.

Howe very odd . . . doesn't the snow build up between the ATV and plow . . . maybe I'm not visualizing how folks plow in this manner . . . around here all I see are ATVs with plows mounted forward so they push the snow vs. pulling the snow. I would love to see some pictures or video when you do some plowing this winter just to see how this works since the idea is really, truly foreign to me.

I can't say this is the first year I have had the rear mount blade.
my other ATV has 60" Moose blade on the front and that is my primary machine.
I have a 44" kimpex blower that I want to put on front of this ATV and then have the blade in the back for clean up.

I did my sidewalk with this weekend's 5" snow fall and I know my front blade does a better cleaning job but will also pull up sod when I get out to the grass.
The rear blade did OK but not great but I might have the blade angle wrong also and I need to due more with it yet before I know for sure.
I did like it for rough trail making around the house. I try to keep a path open for when I have to shuttle wood from the backup pile to the garage.
the rear blade didn't rip up the sod and made a nice trail for pulling the sled and also blocked the sled from sliding into the ATV I have a little hill where the sled catchs me on a corner and I dont wanna gun the ATV and then flip the kids off the sled with the blade they bump into that and stop and then I can get started again. also most of my sled pulling was at 4mph.

I also want to make a mini loggin arch with Winch for the 3pt system

more ATV snow plow Pic's at
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/534733/1968-dodge-charger/page-19

thanks sublime out.

firefighterjake said:
Mcbride said:
firefighterjake said:

Howe very odd . . . doesn't the snow build up between the ATV and plow . . . maybe I'm not visualizing how folks plow in this manner . . . around here all I see are ATVs with plows mounted forward so they push the snow vs. pulling the snow. I would love to see some pictures or video when you do some plowing this winter just to see how this works since the idea is really, truly foreign to me.

This winter i will ask the wife to video me out plowing snow.
I can do some with the quad with front mount and then switch and do some with the rear mount to show the difference.
Both work good, I just prefer the rear mount.
I have a warn brand front mount, and my rear mount is homemade, i made it from old scrap. The blade itself was a blade from a small farm tractor, i cut down to make smaller, as my quad is just a foreman 450, not a large tractor like it was on. For lighter snow falls i prefer to pull it, and on heavier snowfalls takes 2 minutes to turn it around and then push it in reverse.

Although I would prefer a blower like. Sublime, what brand is that, and does it work well.
I considered trying to mount my existing blower to my quad, but its too narrow and will not work.
How wide is that one.
Thanks

it is a Kimpex 44" with a 13HP engine.

When its running and working good its great.
this was a 7" snow.
before

5347330209_large.jpg

and 7 minutes later.

5347330210_large.jpg

side shoot of ATV and Blower.

5347330214_large.jpg

It is a snow eating machine when its on game.

I use it about 3x a year and 1 time It breaks or gives me problems though its always something differnet.

Very cool! I like the set up and I'm sure the kids had a blast.

Status
Not open for further replies.