Winter prediction from the NOAA....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The main difference this year will be a rather weak la nina vs. the strong la nina we had last year, which launched all sorts of arctic air into the NE US for a long period of time. This year the climate scientists and meteorologists are predicting that the NE US may be in a more progressive pattern, we'll have our cold spells but they won't be as stubborn. The milder days are nice because I only need to burn for a few hours to keep my entire 2400 sq. ft. 2-story colonial warm all day and into the night.

Actually, I think it means the northeast will be wetter than normal and if its wetter than normal that means higher lows and more snow with that wet air mass.

Thats the best one I have seen! I'm going with it! :)

Still holding out on starting the stove here, Maybe Nov 1ST?

j-takeman said:

You need to remember what that "forecast" is actually saying.

According to that you are going to have average precipitation and temperature which if memory serves in NE can be quite cold and white.

Note the weasel wording, and take a look at: http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/meant80n.uk.php

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:

According to that you are going to have average precipitation and temperature which if memory serves in NE can be quite cold and white.

Note the weasel wording, and take a look at: http://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/meant80n.uk.php

Party poop-er'! :cheese:

Always prepaired! After I winterize the vehicles and change the oil in the snow-blower. Then put away the fair weather toys! I think All I need to do is sit by the fire. I'm ready, Just prefer a little less white stuff this season. Me back will never be the same after last season!

I still use some of the old timer rules me gramps pass down. Gramps always said if the acorn harvest was low there should be a mild winter. I don't know if it was from TS Irene's winds, But there are few acorns this season. But a boat load of beachnuts! Squirels should be very fat come spring with the beachnuts they have stored away. Gramps never said anything about beachnuts?

We are up to our ears in acorns here. Have to wear a hardhat when ya go outdoors.

j-takeman said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:

Party poop-er'! :cheese:

Always prepaired! After I winterize the vehicles and change the oil in the snow-blower. Then put away the fair weather toys! I think All I need to do is sit by the fire. I'm ready, Just prefer a little less white stuff this season. Me back will never be the same after last season!

I still use some of the old timer rules me gramps pass down. Gramps always said if the acorn harvest was low there should be a mild winter. I don't know if it was from TS Irene's winds, But there are few acorns this season. But a boat load of beachnuts! Squirels should be very fat come spring with the beachnuts they have stored away. Gramps never said anything about beachnuts?

Very few acorns here also this year. Not many beech trees, so no indication from that. Got a deal on new winter wiper blades at OSJL this moning, only $3.99 , so got them on, put the Harley in my friend's garage last weekend, found the snow shovel, shut off and drained the yard hose today. I'll clean the gutters tomorrow, be just about ready for what it brings.

Winterized the camper, dragged out the Toro for the four inch snowfalls and gassed it up, tightened up and lubricated the linkages. Dragged out the other Toro for the four foot snowfalls, and did all the PM's on it, gassed it up, and topped off the oil in the crankcase and differential, pulled the wheels, lubricated the gear drives, etc. It is ready too. I hope that like last year, I only have it out twice. No acorns in my yard, squirrels come through on their way someplace else. Fuel supply is 5 feet from the back door.

Gonna be in the fifties for the next week for highs. No winter here in Milwaukee yet.

Need some cartwheel smileys! We have NO ACORNS here at all!! Woo-eee!

Temps here hanging around highs of -20, lows of -30. If it doesn't get worse than that, it's going to be a good winter . . .

No acorns here this year either.
The deer and squirrels are eating and tearing things up I've never see them eat even in February.
I hope the squirrels starve and die.
The deer, I hope someone bags them before they starve.

billb3 said:
...I hope the squirrels starve and die. The deer, I hope someone bags them before they starve.

Are there any life forms (other than yours) that you'd like to see survive? :roll:

Tons of acorns this year. Tons of squirrels. We even have white squirrels. I took this from my porch. That tree needs to come down.

Attachments

• squirrel.jpg
    squirrel.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 202
Lots of acorns here last month,biggest crop I seen in 3-4 yrs.Needed my hardhat when just going for a walk even,like ball bearings under your feet.Not as many hickory nuts,seemed to be an average year.Very good Black Walnut crop also,3 trees in backyard had the most nuts I remember.Over 20 different ads on local CL giving them away,most yrs am lucky to see 5 or 6.

We have more and more black (grey) squirrel's. I have never seen a white one. I have been trying to figure out where all the red squirrel's went. Usually they are all over my woods, loud and obnoxious. Only saw 2 this year during deer season.
Doug

Not nearly the same number of acorns this year. Last year we were sweeping off golf tee's daily. #$^%#!ing acorns! Then look what happened, lol. Snow cover from x-mas thru early March.

MasterMech said:
Not nearly the same number of acorns this year. Last year we were sweeping off golf tee's daily. #$^%#!ing acorns! Then look what happened, lol. Snow cover from x-mas thru early March.

Yeah, up this way last year was pretty thick with acorns . . . this year . . . not so much.

fossil said:
billb3 said:
...I hope the squirrels starve and die. The deer, I hope someone bags them before they starve.

Are there any life forms (other than yours) that you'd like to see survive? :roll:

If the coyotes came back for a week or two, cleaned out the population of rabbits that are starting to restock, and then leave again that would be OK with me.

I'd like to feed the birds this Winter as have every other Winter but I don't think with the wicked population of squirrels right now that's going to be possible.
We had two very good year of foodstocks for squirrels and their populations have bloomed. I've never seen this many.
Lousy Spring for oak tree blossoms after two really good ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.