Winter Wood Hauling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SKIN052

Minister of Fire
Nov 12, 2008
Appleton, Newfoundland
Just got a set of spruce runners to make a towing sled for my snowmobile. Will likely build something to pull behind the snowmobile in the Spring/Summer and just turn them into a Komatik type sled for this hauling wood around this winter. Was wondering what you guys use and feel free to share any plan you may have.

SKIN052 said:
opps, missed quads post just above this one, please delete.
Nah, don't delete, I would like to see what everybody else uses.

Mine was a cutter used for hauling people behind a snowmobile. I used it that way for a few years, but this winter I took the fiberglass 'passenger' tub off of it (four bolts) and built a framework and platform on it out of scrap lumber I had laying around. And then a few days ago I bought the plastic ice fishing sled to pull behind and to use for dragging wood out of the deep snow to the trail.

Hi -

I quit hauling for now. I can haul saw, fuel/oil, and PPE into the woods well enough. With the deep snow I switched to dropping and bucking. I'm still cutting a stand that's full of dead (barely) standing Ash. By cutting so several trees fall into the same LZ I can limb, buck, and drop the next tree in the same spot. I'll spend less time fighting snow, but I'll be pretty sore when longer days of hauling come around.

The deer are getting closer and closer. They don't like spending energy running from some knuckle head dropping trees that are no good to eat. They will browse up buds from smaller Maple stuff that gets knocked down by big Ash.

ATB,
Mike

zzr7ky said:
Hi -

I quit hauling for now. I can haul saw, fuel/oil, and PPE into the woods well enough. With the deep snow I switched to dropping and bucking. I'm still cutting a stand that's full of dead (barely) standing Ash. By cutting so several trees fall into the same LZ I can limb, buck, and drop the next tree in the same spot. I'll spend less time fighting snow, but I'll be pretty sore when longer days of hauling come around.

The deer are getting closer and closer. They don't like spending energy running from some knuckle head dropping trees that are no good to eat. They will browse up buds from smaller Maple stuff that gets knocked down by big Ash.

ATB,
Mike

I hear ya Mike. I got to get to the farm and drop some cedars for next years projects. Its amazing how fast the deer will clean up the branches. Good feed for them and its a lot easier to limb it when the branches are cleaned off.

Billy

Status
Not open for further replies.