Wintering in rounds

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireview2788

Minister of Fire
Apr 20, 2011
SW Ohio
I went out this morning and started working on a black walnut that has been down for sometime. It's in great shape with nothing punky at all. I am not going to split it until this winter so my question is should I cover it or will it be OK since the bark is still pretty much intact. I've cut some smaller branches and stacked the rounds on them so they are not sitting on the ground.

f v

BTW: I'm probably looking at a cord once the tree is completely cut.

fireview2788 said:
I went out this morning and started working on a black walnut that has been down for sometime. It's in great shape with nothing punky at all. I am not going to split it until this winter so my question is should I cover it or will it be OK since the bark is still pretty much intact. I've cut some smaller branches and stacked the rounds on them so they are not sitting on the ground.

f v

BTW: I'm probably looking at a cord once the tree is completely cut.

I wouldn't cover it if you aren't going to burn it this winter. As long as it isn't making contract with the ground it should be more than fine.

Was it dead when cut - how long ?

I would say it's fine, but I'd get it split and stacked before March if you want it for next year.

It will store best off of the ground and uncovered (if outside). It will store even better if it is split, off the ground and uncovered. Just say'in.

Jags said:
It will store best off of the ground and uncovered (if outside). It will store even better if it is split, off the ground and uncovered. Just say'in.

Funny with the black walnut will get as hard as a rock left in rounds and logs. Its harder to mill than shag bark. Something going on in them there rounds.

smokinjay said:
Jags said:

Funny with the black walnut will get as hard as a rock left in rounds and logs. Its harder to mill than shag bark. Something going on in them there rounds.

You know it. Still have a few of that CL Walnut scrounge left from Sept 2010.Milled a short 1/2 log bench for the front yard last month,was amazed how long it took,even with 288XP & new chain.

Thistle said:
smokinjay said:
Jags said:

You know it. Still have a few of that CL Walnut scrounge left from Sept 2010.Milled a short 1/2 log bench for the front yard last month,was amazed how long it took,even with 288XP & new chain.

Fricken amazing...I done one maybe 30 inchs long and 2 foot wide. It was about 18 months and like hitting granite.

Yes, it's dead not a leaf on it this year. I think it came down last year. It's not getting split this year unless my daughter and I both tag a deer over the next couple of weeks. It's the rut and I do have my priorities.

It's off the ground and will get split probably in February when cabin fever sets in.

f v

Just stack it up and go hunting. Good luck to you and your daughter.

Thanks everyone. I figured I was good but wanted to check with the experts.

Thanks to you also backwoods. There's a nice 8 point that should stop being nocturnal very soon. Numerous 11:30pm to 1:30am pics on the trail cam but no daytime......yet.

fv

[quote author="fireview2788" date="1320286827"]Thanks everyone. I figured I was good but wanted to check with the experts.

Thanks to you also backwoods. There's a nice 8 point that should stop being nocturnal very soon. Numerous 11:30pm to 1:30am pics on the trail cam but no daytime......yet.

Yep they are a moving! At least around here, my wife is a teacher and she just called to tell me that two 8 points were just walking around the playground outside her window. Really glad I took off tomorrow! ( no i won't be hunting in the school playground lol)

krex1010 said:
two 8 points were just walking around the playground outside her window.

My suggestion is to NOT GO THERE and shoot them. They really frown on that. Something about guns, schools, kids, ya know. ;-P

Jags said:
krex1010 said:

My suggestion is to NOT GO THERE and shoot them. They really frown on that. Something about guns, schools, kids, ya know. ;-P
So sitting on the sliding board with my bow is a bad idea?

krex1010 said:
Jags said:
krex1010 said:

So sitting on the sliding board with my bow is a bad idea?

Yep. That would fall under the "bad decision" column.

smokinjay said:
I done one maybe 30 inchs long and 2 foot wide. It was about 18 months and like hitting granite.

That's interesting. So the stuff is still soaking wet but gets hardened just sitting there in the round? Wonder why.

Battenkiller said:
Wonder why.

Hell, I was depending on you to give the answer. Now what? :bug:

Battenkiller said:
smokinjay said:
I done one maybe 30 inchs long and 2 foot wide. It was about 18 months and like hitting granite.

That's interesting. So the stuff is still soaking wet but gets hardened just sitting there in the round? Wonder why.

Its not wet. Didnt use MM but bet its around 10 or under. Saw dust is very fine powder. Even with fresh chain. Makes shaggy bark milling seem like a distance past. It was ready to be worked.

Store the rounds on their sides, the way splits are usually stacked. Rounds standing on end, especially on the ground, will absorb water more than rounds on their sides.

On their sides as we speak.

In PA they might understand someone deer hunting on the playground.

f v

fireview2788 said:
On their sides as we speak.

In PA they might understand someone deer hunting on the playground.

f v
Lol not in the Philly suburbs, the uptight folk where my wife works literally would soil themselves if they saw someone hunting. My neighbor was telling me how he was shocked to see a guy carrying his bow into the woods the other day right by the road, he was afraid that "the bow could just go off and hit a car" lol , what can I say to that?

You'll be fine . . . with stacking the wood in rounds until Spring . . . not taking down a buck in the school play ground.

This time of year I often leave my rounds stacked in the woods until Spring . . . sometimes without getting them off the ground . . . generally they're not going to rot away in less than 6 months . . . although I do tend to keep the softer hardwoods and softwoods on top of the hardwoods or lay down some brush or sacrificial wood on the base to minimize the exposure to the moisture.

Well, I forgot the camera to show what's done so far but I did measure the stacks of rounds. Currently, with about 15' of the trunk left to work, I have 8'Lx3'Hx7'w. I only had a 5' section that had a critter den in it and all the rest of it was solid wood. Using the cord calculator on here that's over a cord of wood. This tree was pretty straight and very few knots so there shouldn't be much waste. I can't wait to get splitting this stuff!

f v

Status
Not open for further replies.