wire channel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
is it ok to use a wire channel in a home ( bedroom) ? I see them in business. I have a wall that was not built correctly, 2x4's going this way ( ---) instead of ( ||| ) and need to put outlets in. I would like to use the wire channel things or conduit or something. My other option, is putting it in the base board. ( which is how they had it ) but that leaves the wire in the wall very vulnerable.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Wiremold is listed in the National Electrical Code. Properly installed, it should meet your needs.

i live in a log cabin... think of it as your problem x100. They were able to run some electrical lines in the logs but in most rooms, it comes out into a wire conduit to give a few extra outlets.

No issues raised with our house inspection, appraisal, or insurance inspection.

Like jimbo said it is an approved wiring method. You want 500 series wiremold (what you linked to). You can put one of these boxes over an existing outlet in the room and run this conduit to it, they make corner fittings etc to other boxes you add. Be careful not to overload existing circuits.

Pm me if you need more info

seige101 said:
You want 500 series wiremold (what you linked to).

Yep, and there is a low voltage version of the stuff too, so be diligent in your selection. The low voltage is for stuff like phone/network cable, not electricity (110V).

There's no rule that says that you must put your studs a particular way. Lots of walls have been built with studs laid flat. Not by me but even "this old house" had an episode where they did it so save space.

Status
Not open for further replies.