Wireless Thermostat for Classic Bay 1200i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joshw0000

Jan 3, 2011
[email protected]
Our pellet stove came with a wired thermostat (not digital) which I've temporarily set up in the living room. I would like to install a wireless thermostat so I can place it in the center of my house without drilling holes or running through walls. I've priced the Smart Batt II at around $150 but really don't want to fork out that kind of cash. I've read of people using Skytech 3301P, P2, and other models on their pellet stove but none specifically on my stove. I looked over the instructions for the 3301P and it appears to be for gas stoves.

What wireless thermostat would you recommend for my stove? Are they difficult to connect?

A skytech 3301 will work just fine. That's what I have on my stove. It's worth having because you don't have to run wires, etc. Look on eBay that's where I picked mine up at.

I also have the Skytech. I placed a small piece of Velcro on the back. Hung it on the wall and framed it out with some small corner round. I had the Smart Stat originally. Same as Smart Batt but Receiver plugs into 120v instead of using batteries. It had a convenient little holder to hang on the wall, but after a year the remote stopped working. Turned it in for warranty and paid the extra $20 for the Skytech. I believe almost any 2 wired millivolt system should work. There are a lot of smart experienced members here that could probably name numerous other Thermo's that would work for you. Good luck and stay warm.

I'm sorry if I mislead you. My Smart stat had a 120v receiver (it broke). My Skytech takes batteries. Both the sender and receiver. Not sure of exact model #. Will post what it is when I get home from work. It has a touch screen. About all I can tell you without looking at it. Stove runs 24/7. Only use the Thermo mode in shoulder seasons.

buy the skytech way better remote and it has a longer warranty then the quad remote.

my smartt batt stopped working and something was wrong with it good luck calling some one at quad at least you reach a real person at skytech.

I have one of the older model Skytech's and it works just fine. Yes, it takes batteries but they last all season and then you can use them during the summer in other things like remotes, cordless screw drivers, kid's toys. Still plenty of life. EBAY!!!!

I just ordered a Skytech 3301P online for $94 at efireplacesdirect.com (cheaper than I could find on Ebay). I had looked at the 3301 P2 and the 5301P but the programmable settings weren't as comprehensive as the cheaper model. I finally called Skytech and after only two rings a person answered the phone. Within a couple seconds I was transfered to another English speaking person who told me which model I needed. I hope it ships soon so I can hook it up!

EDIT: And the phone number to Skytech was plainly printed at the top of the page, of every page. Who does that anymore? Usually, it takes 20 minutes of page browsing to find a number to call, and another 20 minutes of automation to speak to someone.

Those skytech remote Tstats are nice, but the 20 ft range limits them. It says if the remote is more than 20ft away for more then 2 hours then the fireplace goes into shutdown.

20 feet is actually quite a distance and if you get the temperature to where you want it at a spot further away, you can then compensate by using the temperature the thermostat is measuring at a spot within its range as its set point.

20 feet isn't bad in itself, but what about walls in between degrading the signal. Is the 20 ft a clear pathway or with obstructions in between? It doesn't say. In a 2-story structure the 20 ft could be a problem.
The small distance helps in terms of power requirements and allows the batteries to last longer, but the Dayton 1UGH7 for $57 has a range up to 300 ft. It does require 24vac at the receiver though. The transmitter takes a couple AA batteries. Since the transmitter only sucks up battery power for the LCD most of the time the batteries will last a long time. The only time it blasts out the strong-battery-chewing signal to the receiver is during heating appliance turn on and turn off.

The only way to be certain it will transmit far enough is to try it.

Even that Dayton unit is not guaranteed to be able to be picked up by the receiver even within its 300' range.

I agree about the guarantee on the ranges. All manufacturers I have ever seen advertise the max. clear path range. I will take the Dayton or similar remote thermostat that has a greater than 10x range. I would go with that if the structure requires the transmitter greater than 15 ft from the receiver. The skytech seems great for small distances and millivolt or low volt systems. The Dayton seems great for long distances and low volt systems. Since most stoves requires millivolt control then the skytech wins, but add a 10 dollar 120->24vac transformer and $10 24vac relay and the Dayton can be used. Both are sub $100 so they seem economical.

DexterDay said:
Stove runs 24/7. Only use the Thermo mode in shoulder seasons.
With thermo off the stove just runs continuously correct?(untill you have to clean it of course) Is that ok for a quad? Is the touch screen models the only one with termoff otion?

Yes I leave my Quad running constantly. Shutting it down for 15 minutes a day to scrape the pot and quickly suck a lil bit of ash off the heat exchanger. (Top plates take 10 seconds to remove) Prob does not need to be done daily. But I feel like I'm getting the most efficiency by doing it. Both the Smart-batt and the Skytech models have Off/Thermo/On modes. I don't believe it hurts the stove to run all the time. I think there is less wear on parts that way. Everyone has there own opinion. My house stays a constant temp by doing it this way. Whatever you choose you have a nice stove that heats well.

Status
Not open for further replies.