Wood-burning insert opinions?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

I'm looking for a very good quality insert capable of heating at least 2,000 sq. ft.

A this point, I like the idea of the Pacific Energy Summit (which seems to have a lot of support on these pages) and the Lopi Freedom.

Does anybody have an opinion between the two of those or suggestions for other wood-burning inserts in the same class?

Price is somewhat of a factor, but not the most important factor.

I want something that I can expect to last longer than I do, something with a good but quiet blower, something which can handle as large a piece of wood as possible, something that requires minimal maintenance and cleaning, and something that is as easy as possible for my wife to deal with when I'm not around.

My wife, who gets to make the aesthetic decisions is still wondering aloud whether she wants something flush with the current front of the fireplace so she can sit on the ledge in front of the fireplace/insert though I have a feeling that sitting 14 inches away, as she'd be from a flush insert, might already be too hot to handle. Any thoughts on that, and any thoughts on the difference in heat output from two models that are flush versus sticking out (i.e. with "cooktop" surface) but which are otherwise identical?

Also, can anyone tell me why the Lopi brochure would say "by delivering a remarkable 71.1% efficiency rating..." and then in the specifications it says efficiency "up to 76.9%"?

Thanks very much for any and all advice on this stuff! It's all new to me.

Best to all,
Rossputin

I can say this much - efficiency numbers mean very little when it comes to an insert! To my knowledge, these are not tested as inserts in a normal installation - they usually give the efficiency as if it was freestanding in the room. In an insert, heat is lost behind the panels as well as to the radiating cold of exterior masonry fireplaces.

When comparing units, try to get a spec on the cubic feel of the firebox - that will tell you a lot about the wood capacity.

Both stoves are very well known brands and I'm certain you will be pleased.

She won't be sitting 14" from anything burning at 500-700 degrees. :)

Both great inserts. Best viewed from the couch.

Status
Not open for further replies.