Wood Connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlow

Feeling the Heat
Jan 19, 2009
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Friend of mine has his excavation business located at a large lot north of Detroit. One of the other tenants is a tree service. The guy drops his cut wood there and says I can take whatever I want. Went yesterday and loaded up my Blazer 3 times. Mostly took maple and locust. I will grab some spruce and pine for shoulder months. He told me yesterday that he would have more next weekend. I am going back every Saturday. I split and stacked what I got yesterday and it equalled 3/4 cord. My chain saw might get a rest this spring. Can anyone ID some of this mixture? Thanks

Attachments

• P4031537.jpg
    P4031537.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 336
  • P4031541.jpg
    P4031541.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 336
  • P4031542.jpg
    P4031542.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 336
Kind of far away, think I see silver maple, pine

I see the same pine and maple great score!

2nd pic looks like some kind of Spruce, can't tell the others, pics are too small.

Looks like firewood to me. Split it all and stack it. I'd love to have somebody drop good wood for me to split up and keep my family warm with.

Matt

Sounds like a deal pick all you can of the best stuff he has. If fact maybe take it all if you can and give some to friends and family or even sell it. Ask him if he has to pay to dump it you might be doing him a favor getting rid of it for him and ask if he cares if you sell some of it .

jlow said:
Friend of mine has his excavation business located at a large lot north of Detroit. One of the other tenants is a tree service. The guy drops his cut wood there and says I can take whatever I want. Went yesterday and loaded up my Blazer 3 times. Mostly took maple and locust. I will grab some spruce and pine for shoulder months. He told me yesterday that he would have more next weekend. I am going back every Saturday. I split and stacked what I got yesterday and it equalled 3/4 cord. My chain saw might get a rest this spring. Can anyone ID some of this mixture? Thanks

Looks like somebody needs to either buy or borrow a big trailer!

I think the second picture shows large rounds of Norway Spruce - the barks looks right and the close, small branch stubs remind me of spruce. The third picture looks like maple, perhaps Norway or Sugar Maple.

Great find. Now for a trailer and you can haul a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.