Wood Cut This Winter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Almost time for the splitting, the pile of wood is what I cut up to Feb. 5th. I'm hoping it's close to three cord, any thoughts on how much wood is in the pile.

Picture 2658 had just over three cord when we started the heating season, this is the area that I'll stack the wood I have to split.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2656.jpg
    100_2656.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 557
  • 100_2657.jpg
    100_2657.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 561
  • 100_2659.jpg
    100_2659.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 561
  • 100_2660.jpg
    100_2660.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 548
  • 100_2658.jpg
    100_2658.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 554
no idea how much wood zap but you got enough meat walking in the background for 2 winters.....you spend so much time out there, they just walk up....lol

Man good eye. Looks good Zap, what kind of wood is in 4th pic? Red tint with center rotted out?

ohio woodburner said:
Man good eye. Looks good Zap, what kind of wood is in 4th pic? Red tint with center rotted out?

That is one of the beech I dropped this winter, turned out to be hollow.

Zap

Bocefus78 said:
no idea how much wood zap but you got enough meat walking in the background for 2 winters.....you spend so much time out there, they just walk up....lol

I've been dropping some small pine that I was going to thin out this summer, they've been pounding down the needles. Last week we pulled down a hung up pine branch, came out in the morning and all the needles had been eaten so I'm dropping some each weekend.

They hang on my neighbors property alot also, I'm not sure if he has some cedar trees or they just bed down there.

Zap

Hard to find anything to eat with all that snow....and pine needles of all things. Good for you for keep them fed and happy without using corn piles. I

NONE!
Quit rub'n it in.
But Dr. going to release me soon. Got "cabin fever" so bad I could eat thru it now.

I wish. If winter was another 6 months I don't think I would STILL have all my winter projects done. I broke my back in Nov (fell off a roof) so that kind of put a damper on the bigger projects. Did end up getting that roof all done though. Was carrying bundles of roofing a few days later... thought I could suck it up. yeah right. Doc said had I gone in that day he would have put me on bed rest for 2-3 weeks.

Zap - I am guessing close to 3 cords. It doesn't appear to be too deep, but if you average the depth and guess the length - I'll call it ~3.

Deer feeding on pine needles = yuck. Ya can't even make good jerky out of them (IMHO)

Nice pictures Zap and some nice stacks of wood too.

For sure we are into that time of they year when the deer are really hungry and that is why we see so many in groups and up close. You do good Zap to provide them with some food. I usually do this same thing but usually start a little earlier and continue through at least mid-March but it depends upon weather and snow cover as to when I quit cutting for them.

ohio woodburner said:

After looking at the beech and then the picture that red tint is mostly a function of the camera and not the true color of the beech.

Zap

Backwoods Savage said:
Nice pictures Zap and some nice stacks of wood too.

For sure we are into that time of they year when the deer are really hungry and that is why we see so many in groups and up close. You do good Zap to provide them with some food. I usually do this same thing but usually start a little earlier and continue through at least mid-March but it depends upon weather and snow cover as to when I quit cutting for them.

Sav we have some small sugar maple that are real thin that need to come down so I'll do that this weekend and see if they eat them.

If the weather holds and no emergencies pop up I'm heading back in the woods this weekend. Wanted to head back last weekend but we have a family member in the hospital (last three days have been better days for him) will find out more by the end of the week.

Zap

Zap. This does not sound good because you've mentioned a few times about a family member in the hospital. Sorry to hear about that.

Our snow should go fast now as it is supposed to reach 50 today and higher tomorrow. Possibly 3 days in the 50's.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap. This does not sound good because you've mentioned a few times about a family member in the hospital. Sorry to hear about that.

Our snow should go fast now as it is supposed to reach 50 today and higher tomorrow. Possibly 3 days in the 50's.

Sav, we lost plenty of snow the last three days so this weekend I'll take that run back in that I've been talking about. The lane most likely will still have 8 - 10 inches of snow in spots (guess on my part) but I still have the chains on so it should be fine.

Sav, this week has been a good week with the family member getting better each day. I should be getting some news this morning also.

Zap

Jags said:
Zap - I am guessing close to 3 cords. It doesn't appear to be too deep, but if you average the depth and guess the length - I'll call it ~3.

Deer feeding on pine needles = yuck. Ya can't even make good jerky out of them (IMHO)

Jags, the deer have been eating the bark off of some trees plus they're pounding the melt circles at the base of any tree. Still plenty of snow and ice in the woods in some areas.

Zap

That wind has been helping the drying process too. Might not have too bad of a mud season this year.

zapny said:
Jags, the deer have been eating the bark off of some trees plus they're pounding the melt circles at the base of any tree. Still plenty of snow and ice in the woods in some areas.

Zap

yeah, the buggers gotta eat.

Thats it? Wheres the rest of it?

smokinjay said:

Plenty down that mother nature felled, just a guess but I think that we have 10 cord (7 still in the woods) and that is with what I cut this winter. :coolsmile:

Once I can get up top we should have close to another three cord of Aspen for the shoulder season on top of the hardwood so plenty of work that needs to be done. All sorts of pine down which I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

The Woodlands Full

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Plenty down that mother nature felled, just a guess but I think that we have 10 cord (7 still in the woods) and that is with what I cut this winter. :coolsmile:

Once I can get up top we should have close to another three cord of Aspen for the shoulder season on top of the hardwood so plenty of work that needs to be done. All sorts of pine down which I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

The Woodlands Full

Pay back! lol Should I grab the Pinks and give you a hand?

Ya, but forget the pinks!

Zap

zapny said:
Ya, but forget the pinks!

Zap

lol,Gf was loosing it too on that Picture! She reads the post everyday now to. Its like arternoon Soaps! lol

Zap makes the news and tells where all his firewood went to! Good for you Zap don't let them Thieves get away with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.