Wood cutting has to take a back seat for a few days

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I planned on cutting wood most days next week but now it has to wait. I visited a neighbor today.....and sold my atv to him. So either I have to use the garden tractor or else wait.....for the new atv. Yes, it is Christmas and I will have a new atv this year. We'll probably pick it up some day next week. Probably Thursday when we have to go to that town anyway for a dentist appointment.

It is a Yamaha Grizzly 700. It does have fuel injection, power steering, a snow plow, a winch, a windshield and heated hand grips. On top of that it is the camo paint job. It looks to be a dandy. Sometimes life can be good.

Dennis, I've been waiting for this post! Good to hear you're getting the new one, and I hope it serves you well.
Fantastic. Just do us a favor........no wheelies!

Hey Dave, once I was riding it before I bought it and I was amazed at the power it has. I was talking to the service manager about possibly putting on motorcycle grips for the throttle and he advised against it. Said the problem was that folks would do it and, of course, when the front goes up, you grasp the handlebar tight....holding the power.

No, no wheelies here.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey Dave, once I was riding it before I bought it and I was amazed at the power it has. I was talking to the service manager about possibly putting on motorcycle grips for the throttle and he advised against it. Said the problem was that folks would do it and, of course, when the front goes up, you grasp the handlebar tight....holding the power.

No, no wheelies here.

Nice Dennis, is this bigger then your last one?

zap

Yes, I'll post some pictures. Zap, it is because the one I just sold was a 450 and the new one is a 700. I'm anxious to try a little log skidding with it. lol

Backwoods Savage said:
Yes, I'll post some pictures. Zap, it is because the one I just sold was a 450 and the new one is a 700. I'm anxious to try a little log skidding with it. lol

I did some skidding last winter with the Rhino 450 so I'm sure the 700 will kick ass.

zap

Backwoods Savage said:
I planned on cutting wood most days next week but now it has to wait. I visited a neighbor today.....and sold my atv to him. So either I have to use the garden tractor or else wait.....for the new atv. Yes, it is Christmas and I will have a new atv this year. We'll probably pick it up some day next week. Probably Thursday when we have to go to that town anyway for a dentist appointment.

It is a Yamaha Grizzly 700. It does have fuel injection, power steering, a snow plow, a winch, a windshield and heated hand grips. On top of that it is the camo paint job. It looks to be a dandy. Sometimes life can be good.

Awesome I would wait for that!

Good for you. I bought a 400 Arctic Cat TBX and it doesn't have power steering and its all I can do at times to turn it. I wish it had the 500 and can only imagine the power you have with a 700. Good luck with it. As I tell my buddy, your not going to take with you. ;-P

Shipper

Shipper, that is sort of what my wife and I are thinking. We will leave a good amount but not all of it. We plan on getting some enjoyment yet in this life.

Matt, have patience. We probably won't get the machine before Thursday.

Lee, we'll know soon but I was amazed at the power just the little time I rode it.

Zap, maybe we can compare.

Jay, I doubt I could skid some of those trees you cut. lol

Backwoods Savage said:
Shipper, that is sort of what my wife and I are thinking. We will leave a good amount but not all of it. We plan on getting some enjoyment yet in this life.

Matt, have patience. We probably won't get the machine before Thursday.

Lee, we'll know soon but I was amazed at the power just the little time I rode it.

Zap, maybe we can compare.

Jay, I doubt I could skid some of those trees you cut. lol

No but if I had a forest like you I would not have to! lol Bad weather is here to should be a Blast ...

I had a camo cover for mine & on one hunt, when I got back to where I left it, it took me 3 hours to find it.
LOL :)
Now I GPS the position before I walk off. (or tie survey tape close)
I started to think it got stolen.

I found the trail I drove in on & followed the tracks off the trail where i left it & found it,
camo, at night , in brush, with a flash light, that is more difficult than it seems.

You are going to spoil yourself, power steering, hot grips, windshield.
Good for you.
I put a "thumb control winch switch" on mine, (Kodiak) works great for plowing snow.

Been thinking of making something like this for skidding

Attachments

• Log_Sled_in_tow-327x237.jpg
    Log_Sled_in_tow-327x237.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 235
Dave, I surely wish I'd been there when you couldn't find the machine! That had to cause some hard thinking. lol

Your idea of a skidder just might work. Just chain it on and at least the front of the log will be out of the snow and dirt.

And at my age, my wife says it is time I spoil myself. So, I will. It should be nice and now I'm getting anxious to get it home.

Are you going to run a plow on it?

Yes I will Jay. Our old plow was manual lift but this one will have a winch. I sold the old machine with the plow so that worked out well.

Very Nice! Good luck with it.

Very nice . . . if I didn't love my Honda so much I would be tempted to go with a Grizzly . . . very comfortable ride.

Also, good choice on passing on the motorcyle style throttle on the handgrip. If your thumb bothers they do make throttle extenders pretty cheaply which give you a bit more leverage.

Finally . . . in case you didn't know it . . . and I'm sure you do . . . Mrs. Backwoods is a most definite keeper.

Mrs Backwoods thanks you Jake and so do I.

I did pick up one of those throttle extenders and was going to put it on.....then when I found out for sure the new one was coming I waited and will put it on there.

New Avatar or it never happened....lol

Probably a couple days yet Jay. I am getting anxious though and I see they are thinking a possible snow for later this week so may even get to try out the new blade.

Backwoods Savage said:
Probably a couple days yet Jay. I am getting anxious though and I see they are thinking a possible snow for later this week so may even get to try out the new blade.

I would be jumping out of my skin aswell.....Thats like 4-880's on the same Day! SweeeeeeeT....

Ms 3520 if you will....lol

Status
Not open for further replies.