Wood furnace question: Fire Chief 700 vs. Clayton 1600

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawnman323

Dec 16, 2007
N. Mich.
Both have very similar statistics, the only difference I can see in funcion is that the Clayton has a bottom ash discharge grate that you rock back and forth by wiggling a lever to drop the ashes. The Fire Chief has a auger-type system that has teeth to pull the ashes down. The Clayton is $1899, Fire cheif is $2300. Any other info on these units would be great.

I've thought it through quite a bit, talked to HVAC guys, pellet and wood burner dealers, and I think a wood furnace is my best option against pellet or an outside boiler. I have a existing forced-air propane furnace I can tie into and a walk out basement so my access for wood is good. I run a landscape business, so wood is not really a problem to come by. Home is 1800 sf. upstairs, 1800 sf. finished downstairs.

Thanks for the continued help and support.

Lawnman323 said:
Both have very similar statistics, the only difference I can see in funcion is that the Clayton has a bottom ash discharge grate that you rock back and forth by wiggling a lever to drop the ashes. The Fire Chief has a auger-type system that has teeth to pull the ashes down. The Clayton is $1899, Fire cheif is $2300. Any other info on these units would be great.

I've thought it through quite a bit, talked to HVAC guys, pellet and wood burner dealers, and I think a wood furnace is my best option against pellet or an outside boiler. I have a existing forced-air propane furnace I can tie into and a walk out basement so my access for wood is good. I run a landscape business, so wood is not really a problem to come by. Home is 1800 sf. upstairs, 1800 sf. finished downstairs.

Thanks for the continued help and support.
I like the claytons dont know about the cheif

I would go with the clayton. They offer the same things as the firecheif, but for a better price.

if i remember correctly there is someone on here with a fire chief. i believe he said it was really good at burning lots of wood quick and hot due to the combustion fan running too often for his liking.

I've been told by more than one person that they burn a lot of wood. I just don't want to do an outdoor boiler system because I'll be spitting nails every time I have to go outside to load the unit. I'll also have a permanant walkway to it so I can shovel snow, and I'm not into that because that's a lot of unnecessary brick pavers to match the patio. The fit and finish of the landscape must be perfect, this is a portfolio project.

As far as inside funaces go, is there anything besides these units availible. The EKO unit looks interesting, but I presume it is an outside unit and I am unsure on the price.

I'm getting close to purchasing a unit, just want to make sure I make the right choice.

Thank you again.

Scott

Lawnman323 said:
I've been told by more than one person that they burn a lot of wood. I just don't want to do an outdoor boiler system because I'll be spitting nails every time I have to go outside to load the unit. I'll also have a permanant walkway to it so I can shovel snow, and I'm not into that because that's a lot of unnecessary brick pavers to match the patio. The fit and finish of the landscape must be perfect, this is a portfolio project.

As far as inside funaces go, is there anything besides these units availible. The EKO unit looks interesting, but I presume it is an outside unit and I am unsure on the price.

I'm getting close to purchasing a unit, just want to make sure I make the right choice.

Thank you again.

Scott
you will be happy with the clayton it can be upgraded to do hot water as well!2nd heat exchanger as well

Thanks for the replies. I agree the Clayton is a great buy.

I just hope the house doesn't smell like smoke. I'll have 5' or so of rise (was hoping to do single wall), then I have to make about a 6' horizontal run to get through my block wall (transition to double wall) and then I can head up the side of the house. I was hoping to frame in the chase next season. The stack will be going up the east side of the home, and I have been told by the Fire Chief installers that I need about 6' of pipe above the roofline.

I understand that when the draft blower is running it will draft well, but when it kicks off I hope it doesn't puff like crazy. I'll be sleeping in my truck and the propane furnace will be rolling to keep the wife warm. :)

Any thoughts.?

[quote author="smokinj" date="1225562165
Scott[/quote]
you will be happy with the clayton it can be upgraded to do hot water as well!2nd heat exchanger as well[/quote]

I am planning on tying in the hot water, how does the 2nd heat exchanger work?

Just called TSC, evidently the 1600 has dropped the Clayton name and is now a Hot Blast. Price is $1629.00. The plot thickens.

The Fire Cheif claims to have a 'secondary combustion chamber, looks like a damper from the pic.

I also started looking up the Caddy and Yukon Eagle. For $1629 though, that price is hard to beat. I think long-term I will wind up with a boiler system with storage. This just has to get me through the next few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.